Back to brewing.

Sugars, finings and anything else

Back to brewing.

Postby chojo » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:46

Hi guys, due to family issues I've not made anything since about may 14. Now things have settled down I'm looking to start things up again. I've been going through my stock and came across quite a lot of out of date stuff. There's spray malt, a couple of ibrew kits, some yeast and a wine kit. Is any of this stuff safe to use? Most is about 6-8 months out but the beer kits have no date on the tin so I've no idea how far out they are but I believe tinned stuff is quite resilient. What do you think?
chojo
Brewer

Re: Back to brewing.

Postby robwalker » Thu Aug 27, 2015 20:47

All fine. Only worry is yeast viability, but even then it's probably fine. Hope all is well! welcome back!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Aug 27, 2015 21:54

It will all be safe to use but may be past its best. Liquid malt extract can give a twang when old but spray malt should be fine.

rpt
Brewer

Postby chojo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 16:26

Thanks guys that'll save me a few bob. Is there anything that you really shouldn't use if it's out of date coz I've just found some pectolase, campden tabs and other chemicals that are all passed it.
Cheers.
chojo
Brewer

Postby rpt » Sat Aug 29, 2015 13:55

Old yeast will be less viable and if it fails to start fermenting you may waste your batch due to infection. Hops will probably suffer over time too but dried malt should be fine.

rpt
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Sat Aug 29, 2015 18:43

You can guard against yeast viability by making up a starter with the yeast, only pitch it if it is clearly working in the starter environment. You can also ensure that any hop additions are boiled for 10 mins before pitching including the hop juice.

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer