Alcohol as a sanitizer

Sugars, finings and anything else

Alcohol as a sanitizer

Postby Ren » Mon Apr 06, 2015 17:46

hey,

I was looking for a fast sanitizing solution that would work instantly. For example wiping down lip of the yeast starter flask before pouring it. I heard people were using Isopropyl alcohol or ethanol but not sure where to get it from and what type. I don't really like how Isopropyl alcohol smells as I use it everyday at work. Would it be ok to use for sanitizing before handling yeast?
Maybe somebody has some link or brand name I could look into.

Thanks
Ren
Brewer

Re: Alcohol as a sanitizer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Apr 07, 2015 13:13

Isn't this used then burnt off?
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Ren » Tue Apr 07, 2015 16:20

Rolfster wrote:Isn't this used then burnt off?

Isopropyl will evaporate very fast so you can't burn it off. Cant say anything about ethanol though, haven't used it.
Ren
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Apr 07, 2015 16:39

70% ethanol is recommended as s surface steriliser. . . . Or I use 70% IPA if I can't get ethanol :D

personally for flasks and such I just flame the neck, then pour in the zone of the flame.

If it's going to come into contact with beer / foodstuff I tend not to use 'alcohols' though

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer