Maple syrup

Sugars, finings and anything else

Maple syrup

Postby Jeltz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 23:44

An American guy suggested using it in the ferment and for priming in brown ales.

Sounds interesting has anyone here tried it?

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Re: Maple syrup

Postby rlemkin » Thu Jan 22, 2015 00:00

I've had a few beers with maple syrup and couldn't pick it up very well/at all. I gather it's difficult to get much flavour into the beer, but some seem to think using it for priming is best. I looked this up a while ago and decided it probably wasn't worth the expense... but I'm sure some people on here have tried it and might have something more positive to say!
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Maple syrup

Postby KevinS » Thu Jan 22, 2015 08:41

I've primed a few with maple syrup (honey in some other beers as well) and also made a beer with maple syrup added late boil.

The only real concern I could find was that for some of the food based sugars they are not 100% standardised. So one brand may not have identical sugar content to another. This probably effects honey more than maple at a wild guess though...

All in all, for priming it seemed like an unnecessary expense. I found it took slightly longer to carbonate to the right levels - and is considerably more expensive then sugar.

If you're interested though, definitely give it a try! It's one of the few things you can try safe in the knowledge it won't ever really screw up a brew!
KevinS
Brewer