Protofloc -- How Good ?

Sugars, finings and anything else

Protofloc -- How Good ?

Postby Pjam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:26

I've run out and won't place an order just for that alone. So will I notice much difference. I've never tried it without before. I'm brewing a pale coloured beer!
Pjam
Brewer

Re: Protofloc -- How Good ?

Postby EvansTheSteam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:52

It is more than likely you will have to accept a haze in your beer!

Jim

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 19:54

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Clarity doesn't really matter and certainly won't make your beer taste worse.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:35

Ah OK. Haze it is then. I don't mind. But you know what it's like, try and convince any guests to the house :roll:
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Springer » Fri Jan 02, 2015 20:52

rlemkin wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Clarity doesn't really matter and certainly won't make your beer taste worse.

You may well be right r, but its not a good look. :)

Pjam wrote:Ah OK. Haze it is then. I don't mind. But you know what it's like, try and convince any guests to the house :roll:

Quite right Pj, would you or your guests or even rlemkin, like a nice sirloin steak and chips or sirloin puree and chips, now let me think for a milli second :hmm: :lol:
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 21:04

Springer wrote:
rlemkin wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again. Clarity doesn't really matter and certainly won't make your beer taste worse.

You may well be right r, but its not a good look. :)

Pjam wrote:Ah OK. Haze it is then. I don't mind. But you know what it's like, try and convince any guests to the house :roll:

Quite right Pj, would you or your guests or even rlemkin, like a nice sirloin steak and chips or sirloin puree and chips, now let me think for a milli second :hmm: :lol:
S

You could do what my local brewery does.. which is basically "IT'S HAZY FOR FLAVOUR AND YOU'LL ENJOY IT :ugeek: " Sorry I mean 'Unfined for Flavour' ;)
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Fri Jan 02, 2015 23:04

There's haze and there's cloudy.

The point of kettle finings is to get proteins out of the beer on account of them not being desirable to the flavour or longevity of the beer AIUI.

Now, if this beer was destined to pretty much all be processed through the brewer and at a reasonable lick then as you say, finings aren't all that important. If the beer is for sharing and showing off or keeping for a while then getting the crap flocculated out up front has to be a good thing.

For my money, if that was the only thing I was missing I wouldn't bother either and just stock up on the next order of other stuff. I'd probably consider lagering it if it wasn't just for my consumption and I had no kettle finings.
calumscott
Admin

Postby Pjam » Fri Jan 02, 2015 23:16

Ah OK .......... I learnt something there :thumb:

Most annoying part is I only just received my latest MM order, forgot the protofloc :roll:

Could someone please tag some onto their next order for me?
Pjam
Brewer