alpha amylase

Sugars, finings and anything else

alpha amylase

Postby haggis51 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:41

My brewing efficiency has been very low for the past few years, so I thought I would try and acquire some pure alpha amylase, but without success. Anyone else tried or managed to buy some? Is the Ritchies Amylase any good in beer production rather than in wine making?
haggis51
Brewer

Re: alpha amylase

Postby Aleman » Wed Sep 03, 2014 13:57

Take a look at Murphy and Sons . . . They have a range of brew house enzymes That will do what you want . . . . And you should be able to get it through their home brew arm.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby haggis51 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 07:40

Aleman wrote:Take a look at Murphy and Sons . . . They have a range of brew house enzymes That will do what you want . . . . And you should be able to get it through their home brew arm.

Cheers Aleman
haggis51
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 09:11

You must have known this would happen so I'll ask. What is your efficiency and would it be an option to look for ways to improve this rather than add something that is probably more expensive than additional grain?
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby haggis51 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 09:38

The last time my efficiency was over 90% was in August 2006. Over 85% was in June 2011 and since then it has varied between 60% & 83%. My last brew 2 weeks ago was supposed to be a Barley Wine @ og 1100. I even did an overnight mash (which I havn't done for decades) but it ended up @ og1075 - 60% EofB.
I've changed my scales, thermometers, hydrometers and even my suppliers but my EofB is still poor.
haggis51
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:18

If you're interested in bouncing some ideas around, which is the type of thread that generates some healthy discussion :D I would start a separate thread with details of your equipment and process.

For a quick observation, would your efficiency vary with the OG?
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby haggis51 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 13:16

AltonAnt wrote:If you're interested in bouncing some ideas around, which is the type of thread that generates some healthy discussion :D I would start a separate thread with details of your equipment and process.

For a quick observation, would your efficiency vary with the OG?

Just gone through my records back to 1990 and there is no correlation between OG and Efficiency of Brewing. e.g. Beers @ OG 1042, the E of B ranges from 68% - 96%. At the other end of the scale, beers @ OG between 1080 & 1132 the E of B ranges from 67% - 97%.
haggis51
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Thu Sep 04, 2014 15:03

Many wouldn't agree but I'd be happier at the lower end of your range than the upper. The inconsistency though is worth investigating.
AltonAnt
Brewer