What Chocolate in Porter

Sugars, finings and anything else

What Chocolate in Porter

Postby Mr Squiffy » Sun Jul 20, 2014 09:54

I brewed a Porter recently, it is OK but not memorable. I fancy making a Chocolate Porter with chocolate in it. Any recommendations or tips on what to use. I believe you can use Cocoa Powder, but how much and when would you add it. I have also seen mentioned Cocoa Nibs :scratch: What are they? Are they better than powder? Where would you get them?

'On victory, you deserve beer, in defeat, you need it' :drink: Napoleon.
Mr Squiffy
Brewer

Re: What Chocolate in Porter

Postby bobsbeer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:07

Malt Miller has cocoa nibs.
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby CraftyTim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56

I've got 100g of cacao nibs that I'm going to dry nib a porter with this week. Just looking at the best way to do it, here's what I'm planning in doing unless anyone has any better options:

Roast nibs at 150c until there's some chocolate aroma coming off them. Crush lightly and soak in vodka for 24 hours, throw it all into primary (primary fermentation has stopped) and sample daily until ready to rack into a keg.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy :D
CraftyTim
Brewer

What Chocolate in Porter

Postby stevelmu » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:25

I am planning to add nibs to a porter soon. Reading round I was going to soak them in vodka and add them to secondary. Some advised against adding to primary because they can become quite bitter.
stevelmu
Brewer

Postby CraftyTim » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:56

stevelmu wrote:I am planning to add nibs to a porter soon. Reading round I was going to soak them in vodka and add them to secondary. Some advised against adding to primary because they can become quite bitter.

Judging a daily sample should give some indication about when it's ready to rack, I'm expecting to have the nibs and beer in together for no longer than a week. I'll also slowly ramp down the temperature to eventually a cold crash.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy :D
CraftyTim
Brewer