Co2

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Co2

Postby fishplate » Mon Feb 08, 2016 17:22

I've been given a Old Co2 fire extinguisher at work,it ran out in 2011. Just wondering if this would still be OK to use, if so do I just turn it upside down to use. Cheers
fishplate
Brewer

Re: Co2

Postby Dennis King » Thu Feb 11, 2016 22:50

Bumping this to see if anyone knows, never use gas myself.
Dennis King

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:43

I use mine upright with no issues but I got mine second hand from a aquarist so not sure if the dip tube was ever removed (I highly doubt it) if you want to play it safe stand it upside down but I've never met anyone that's had issues when using one upright.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby GrowlingDog » Thu Feb 11, 2016 23:46

To use a fire extinguisher you do just turn them upside down. I'm sure it will be fine to use, can't really see any reason it wouldn't be. There must be a reason they have dates on them but that's probably more to do with checking they are still full and will actually work when fighting a fire.

I used fire extinguishers but I had the dip tubes removed in mine so I could use them the right way up.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby boab44stout » Mon Mar 07, 2016 19:11

i have my co2 cylinders filled at regular intervals there is safety issues with co2 cylinders and they must be tested at the end of there test date this is usually physically stamped on the shoulder of the bottle.
I think there is also usually a sticker on them indicating there last fill date.
Most fire extinguishers can be filled as long as they are in test.
boab44stout
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Sun Aug 21, 2016 15:56

Ideally Co2 bottles should be checked
if out of "test" you may find it hard to find a supplier that will fill them for you
To check the test dateon the shoulder around the valve there will be a plastic tag this is colour and shaped to give a test date

hope this helps
steve
sledgehammer
Brewer