Corny keg help

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Corny keg help

Postby Rivvo » Tue Mar 28, 2017 22:30

Hi guys, I have just bought two second hand ball lock cornies with the intention of building a keezer, ideally I will have both cornies and the gas in the keezer but would like the ability to serve two different beers potentially at two different pressures.
I would be grateful if someone could post exactly what I will need, I will get an stc controller for the temperature and maybe a fan to even the temperature out, I will need gas, gas line?, two taps with 10cm shanks but would like advice on what else is required (disconnects, beer line, beer line reducer etc) the kegs just have the ring release lock on the lid and two bare metal posts. Also maybe something to bottle a few beers from the keg, I've heard mention of counter pressure beer taps/dispensers on here before. I would also like to know if there's a one stop shop for all the kit as most places I've checked don't seem to sell everything that I think I may need.
Thanks in advance.

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Re: Corny keg help

Postby PhatFil » Wed Mar 29, 2017 02:14

gas depends on location, and the phone book and a few calls will probably be the best bet, Dont go for a BOC monthly subscription it will cost u an arm and a leg a single 6.5kg bottle should last well over 12 months with just 2 kegs.. be prepared to pay upto £50 bottle deposit and upto £24 per refil, buying your own bottle modded fire extinguisher can lead to problems getting refilled and certified safe for refil..

with corny kegs that have built in prvs (pressure relief valves) you dont need a brewers regulator with a prv built in and can use a basic £30 welders regulator, just ensure the output dial displays in psi and not flow rates, And its gradient is useful, ie not 5psi steps .. which would make setting target serving pressures a bit hit n miss.

I would set up the system with a single regulator for now, 3/8" gas line is cheap so hacking a meter or two to refit with a 2ndary regulator wont break the bank and will simplify the job in hand, and once your an old hand with corny's after a few kegs thru your fridge it wont be a problem ;)

also get some 3/16" micro line upto 2m per keg, its poormans antifobbing, its tight constricting bore reduces the keg pressure before the tap so at the release its a nominal drop in pressure and the beer is more inclined to retain its condition and not foam out ;)

use JG speedfit connectors where possible and dont kink or bend beer line tightly if needed use a corner bend fitting also when cutting beerline use a sharp knife and cut square, a squeezed beerline cut off square can create nucleation points in the beerline which again can cause fobbing or a foam out.

afaik Norm a well known and respected supplier of all things corny is still trading on ebay or you could email him @ normansplace@hotmail.com I dont know if he sells taps??

But on taps imho your much better off sourcing ex pub dalex style taps they have removable spouts unlike the US/EU style which will require regular flushing out and or capping to keep fungus gnats out whera as with spouts you simply unscrew you can unscrew and soak in water between sessions.

for bottle filling the pegas bottle fillers for pet bottles are very popular and chinese rip offs can be got of allibabba for £30-£40 originals cost 3 times that perhaps a bit more but all with em swear by em,, i have a chinese ripoff and it needed modding to work.

once you get over any teething issues its grand pouring a nice consistent pint ;)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Saccharomyces » Wed Mar 29, 2017 16:35

Just two minor points:

You won't need a fan for a keezer or kegerator, the beer has a high thermal mass and will stay at a given temp a lot longer than the air around it. I actually put the temperature probe into a bottle of water, just to prevent the fridge kicking in until the beer gets out of the target range.

You do need to think about barbed versus JGfittings and plump for one or the other - barbed fittings leak less if secured properly but are more permanent (especially if you use 'ear clamps').
Saccharomyces
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 19:27

Thanks for taking the time to reply guys :thumb:
I have been reading a lot of articles about kegging but some seems contradictory, I just need to start with a simple set up I guess, thanks once again.

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer