Crown cap failure

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Crown cap failure

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 00:28

Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with crown caps failing, I buy caps from my LHBS and i've noticed that usually when i have a cap failure it seems to be predominantly one colour.
I know that may sound a bit daft but would be interested to see if anyone has had the same issue, if so post the colour. :hat:

Next Brew AG. 53
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Re: Crown cap failure

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Mar 08, 2017 08:32

Monte Cristo wrote:Just wondering if anyone has had an issue with crown caps failing, I buy caps from my LHBS and i've noticed that usually when i have a cap failure it seems to be predominantly one colour.
I know that may sound a bit daft but would be interested to see if anyone has had the same issue, if so post the colour. :hat:

Which capper are you using? I have noticed that one particular bottle is sometimes difficult to cap.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 08:52

I think capper too, bench cappers are probably the main culprit, especially if using slightly different bottles.

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2017......... 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 21:19

A pal of mine sells bottle caps to the brewing industry and he has a gauge to determine whether a cap is fitted correctly. He found that my bench capper leaves a poorly fitted cap whereas my twin handled hand capper gets them just right. I now only use the bench capper to place caps onto washed and sterilised bottles for storage. I then remove the cap, prime and fill the bottle and recap with the hand capper. Now got a reliable system that works.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 22:04

I have a red twin handled capper the ferrari type, which does a pretty good job generally, I also sort my bottles and get rid of the ones i know won't cap correctly (Wychwood etc).
My LHBS sells 2 different types Hambleton bard and Youngs and it is the black Hambleton bard caps that seem to have problems with, i mentioned it to the the owner but he kegs his beer so i don't think he will have any experience of it. It is just annoying to be loosing beer due to cap failure.
Maybe i should order some from MM and try theirs see what happens. :hat:

Next Brew AG. 53
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 22:36

I just use the Hambleton Bard ones and never have a problem. I used some Malt Miller ones recently and they were a bit awkward - some even buckled and had to be recapped. They were free, so can't grumble, but wouldn't be happy paying for them.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 08:31

Monte Cristo wrote:I have a red twin handled capper the ferrari type, which does a pretty good job generally, I also sort my bottles and get rid of the ones i know won't cap correctly (Wychwood etc).
My LHBS sells 2 different types Hambleton bard and Youngs and it is the black Hambleton bard caps that seem to have problems with, i mentioned it to the the owner but he kegs his beer so i don't think he will have any experience of it. It is just annoying to be loosing beer due to cap failure.

Try smearing the inside of the bell on the capper with vaseline it makes all the difference. I always use MM caps
and have no problems.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 08:50

HTH1975 wrote:I just use the Hambleton Bard ones and never have a problem. I used some Malt Miller ones recently and they were a bit awkward - some even buckled and had to be recapped. They were free, so can't grumble, but wouldn't be happy paying for them.

I had the same issue with them..... My favourites are Young's from Wilko's or Coopers when on offer.

BB

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 30 years (1984 - 2014)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2017......... 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 09:46

INDIAPALEALE wrote:
Try smearing the inside of the bell on the capper with vaseline it makes all the difference. I always use MM caps
and have no problems.

I'll certainly give that a go :thumb: thanks for the replies chaps :hat:

Next Brew AG. 53
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:18

I tend to just use the golden caps from Wilko and haven't had any issues as yet.
I think we have the same/similar capper as well. Mine is the Ferarri Emily one.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Crastney » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:59

my capper is the two handed manual type, and it was second hand, and one side of the bell is bent out of shape a bit. It copes ok with most bottles but sometimes I realy have to push down a lot of weight on the whole thing as I press the capping arms down to ensure that the cap gets bent round properly.
I haven't had any issues where I've come to open bottles and they're obviously not sealed, but then again I do sometimes get a bottle that looks sealed but when I pick it up I realise that the cap is on, but loosely, and able to spin around - when this happens I get a pair of mole grips, and pinch in the bottle cap, and rotate and pinch in again, until tight all round. this seems to have worked, and it's only on about one or two bottles per batch of about 40.

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 13:12

I've used Wilco's crown caps as well with no issues.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby abeyptfc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 22:31

INDIAPALEALE wrote:
Monte Cristo wrote:I have a red twin handled capper the ferrari type, which does a pretty good job generally, I also sort my bottles and get rid of the ones i know won't cap correctly (Wychwood etc).

and have no problems.

you do what???that sounds painful!
abeyptfc
Brewer