john guest fittings

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

john guest fittings

Postby miyanoman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 13:22

hi all in new on here.
i have a question for you.
im looking to use john guest fittings and pipe to link up my peer pumps to polypins but i cant find a fitting that goes strait on the polypin.
it measures 11.3 dia . seems a bit of a strange size to me..........
my question is what do you use ?

also what size pip would be best 1/2 or 3/8 ?.
its not a long run

cheers phil :drink:
miyanoman
Brewer

Re: john guest fittings

Postby PhatFil » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:55

welcome ..

most folk bodge a connection with thick walled soft platimum cured silicone tube afaik ;)

3/8" is pretty standard for the rigid gas/beer line
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 13:29

Welcome to the forum,

I've moved this topic to Dispensing as it is likely to get a better response there :)

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Nov 10, 2016 14:57

1/2" silicone tubing is all you'll be needing.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Nov 10, 2016 19:46

As Kyle says: '1/2" silicon tubing'. I actually use PVC tubing but it goes green and ... , well I'd rather not think about it.

The 1/2" tubing can connect directly to a demand valve (sometimes referred to as a "check valve") which will allow you to put the polypin on the same shelf as the hand-pump if more convenient to do that (putting the polypin on the floor is more normal). But the demand valve also prevents leaks if the polypin has a little bit of pressure in it. Beer pump demand valves often have 3/8 pushfit (JG-like) fittings on the cask side so you'll then need another short length of 1/2" silicon tube to fit on the polypin tap; the other end of the 1/2" tube will have a barb to 3/8" stem (PI251612S) which will then fit to whatever 3/8" JG fitting you happen to use with your 3/8" beer-line.

Phew. Well the question did say you want to use JG fittings.

Actually a little bit of pressure in the polypin is no bad thing as it helps hold some condition in the beer (I'm talking about less pressure than you can blow into a balloon). If I was using polypins (I don't) I'd stick a weight on top of the polypin when it starts to deflate. But this is NOT a recommendation, just an idea that might retain condition (in pubs this isn't an issue - the beer is drunk before any issue gets chance to arise).

But making such a suggestion is likely to get me shot down, again ...
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Thu Nov 10, 2016 22:41

PeeBee wrote:Actually a little bit of pressure in the polypin is no bad thing as it helps hold some condition in the beer (I'm talking about less pressure than you can blow into a balloon). If I was using polypins (I don't) I'd stick a weight on top of the polypin when it starts to deflate. But this is NOT a recommendation, just an idea that might retain condition (in pubs this isn't an issue - the beer is drunk before any issue gets chance to arise).

But making such a suggestion is likely to get me shot down, again ...

Well when i used polypins to store my boots kit ales i found my Mams old readers digests were great simple weights without sharp corners to keep the internal pressure positive tho i did need to tape them together to stop em sliding off which didnt make Mam very happy :whistle: :)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Fri Nov 11, 2016 20:06

for connecting to a beer engine i kept it simple and used food grade 1/2" id pvc pipe (not had any issues with it going "green" (perhaps better cleaning schedules and procedure will cure this problem)
sledgehammer
Brewer