Beer line to spigot leaking

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Beer line to spigot leaking

Postby jacklunnon » Wed Oct 26, 2016 22:48

Hi everyone,

Got a problem with my kegerator tower at the moment. Had to replace the soft pvc beer line that came with the taps with a harder 5/16 standard beer line. However as the spigot is straight metal I get a very big leak out of it no matter how tight the jubilee clip is. I was thinking of using some plumbers putty in there and tightening on it but has anyone came across the same thing and found a solution.

Using Tapatalk
jacklunnon
Brewer

Re: Beer line to spigot leaking

Postby PeeBee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 00:39

With MDPE beer line, even the softer PVC tubing, I would get seals with "jubilee" type clips but even then after time the seals would leak again (the materials will "flow" when subject to mechanical pressure).

I now use two methods of dealing with this.

Firstly switch over to John Guest fittings. They don't rely on tightening them up.

Secondly, and much more extreme, use solenoid actuated valves (even manual valves, though easy to forget) and isolate beer lines after a session (see my recent threads on working with these things).
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 01:09

Extra...

Specifically attaching to the spigots on taps: I've used a short length of softer hose with jubilee clips terminating in a hosetail to JG 3/8" pushfit and then take it away from there as the relatively stiff MDPE 3/8" beer line.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby jacklunnon » Thu Oct 27, 2016 23:14

Hi PeeBee. Thanks for your advice. Already using JG fittings for the rest of it to dial in pressure with pipe width, just this final attachment where I couldn't find one to fit. Any recommendations on where to get a softer hose?

Using Tapatalk
jacklunnon
Brewer

Postby Dads Ale » Fri Oct 28, 2016 15:18

Could be that jubilee clips are not very good at clamping small diameter pipe uniformly. I use the clips that are designed for petrol pipes and these seem to work much better. They come in different sizes so you need to know the OD of the pipe you want to clamp.
Dads Ale
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Fri Oct 28, 2016 17:45

jacklunnon wrote:... Any recommendations on where to get a softer hose?

I was referring to the "PVC" hose, stuff like used for syphon tubes and comes in all sizes (Ebay?).

And I can see where "Dads Ale" is coming from; your picture doesn't show your jubilee clips clamping very effectively.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby jacklunnon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 01:05

Ahh ok. Thought you meant some specific hose. I have some pvc Hose from syphoning which I will look at.
The jubilee clip looks loose because it is! I unclamped them to see how much wiggle room I have. I have some petrol pipe style clips which I will give a go. Thanks all!

Using Tapatalk
jacklunnon
Brewer