Bottle filling options.

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Re: Bottle filling options.

Postby jkp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 13:49

beer buddah wrote:https://www.morebeer.com/products/deluxe-counter-pressure-bottle-filler.html

I got this one its on the top 2 best buys for me. You need the gauge also it makes life much easier.

How does the gauge help?

jkp
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 13:59

I set keg to 10 psi.
2 purge bottle.
3 set bottle pressure to 6Psi.
4 open Inlet to bottle beer flows from high pressure to low pressure.
If I don't have gauge on bottle filler I cannot access the pressure in bottle.
Causes two issues.
1 too high pressure in bottle when I open inlet valve the high pressure in bottle flows into keg kicking up all the sediment.
2 too low pressure the beer flows I to bottle too fast causing foaming.
In my experience

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby Springer » Thu Oct 20, 2016 14:00

Maysie wrote:
(He grabs his dunces cone and walks himself to the corner...)

:lol: but.................... :nono: There were probably load out there who didn't know the process and didn't bother or dare to ask.
I use most serving medium, all have their use, like bottles with sediment, processing is not a problem if you have the taclkle and are organised e. Have done a few bottles from a cornie, pins are fine and have recently started using those pressure 5 litre metal pins. Horses for courses. :D
S
P.S. Bottles tend to be a good way or rationing my intake, cornies and pins can be very tempting for just another "extra half" :)

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 15:31

I did quite a bit of 'Googling' on the process and there was very little around that actually explained the WHOLE process, ie whether the beer was carbed before being 'gunned' into the bottles or not.

What I did find was lots of tips about chilling everything down before starting the process, so worked out that the beer must therefore be carbed when bottled.

There seems to be quite a bit of a misconception/misunderstanding that the bottle being filled is somehow under pressure when the beer goes in, but it cant be if it isnt sealed to hold the pressure!
The initial blast of CO2 is to purge the air out of the bottle, not put it under pressure which would be impossible.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 16:38

beer buddah wrote:I set keg to 10 psi.
2 purge bottle.
3 set bottle pressure to 6Psi.
4 open Inlet to bottle beer flows from high pressure to low pressure.
If I don't have gauge on bottle filler I cannot access the pressure in bottle.
Causes two issues.
1 too high pressure in bottle when I open inlet valve the high pressure in bottle flows into keg kicking up all the sediment.
2 too low pressure the beer flows I to bottle too fast causing foaming.
In my experience

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Ah, I see how that works. For me, I just split my co2 with a T between the beer gun and the keg. The pressure is the same in the bottle and the keg. Then allowing the pressure to slowly release from the bottle allows the beer to flow very slowly.

jkp
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Oct 20, 2016 16:41

Maysie wrote:I did quite a bit of 'Googling' on the process and there was very little around that actually explained the WHOLE process, ie whether the beer was carbed before being 'gunned' into the bottles or not.

What I did find was lots of tips about chilling everything down before starting the process, so worked out that the beer must therefore be carbed when bottled.

There seems to be quite a bit of a misconception/misunderstanding that the bottle being filled is somehow under pressure when the beer goes in, but it cant be if it isnt sealed to hold the pressure!
The initial blast of CO2 is to purge the air out of the bottle, not put it under pressure which would be impossible.

The bottle is indeed sealed, either with a rubber stopper or by a pull down mechanism. The pressure in the bottle is the whole point, otherwise the beer will foam just like when you pour a pint! The pressure is of course momentarily released before you can cap it.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Oct 21, 2016 09:43

I have just brewed a batch of beer. I had a bit more than would fit into my normal fvs so I put the remainder into a demi john.
Fermented as normal, then put the DJ in my beer fridge.... and forgot about it.
After a couple of weeks I remembered and bottled it as normal.
Its the clearest beer I have put into bottles with the least sediment!

I know this doesn't help the OP as it requires a fridge........... I am just trying to work out how I ca sneak a few more fridges past SWMBO.

I also don't know how long its going to take to carb up!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:04

jkp wrote:
Maysie wrote:I did quite a bit of 'Googling' on the process and there was very little around that actually explained the WHOLE process, ie whether the beer was carbed before being 'gunned' into the bottles or not.

The bottle is indeed sealed, either with a rubber stopper or by a pull down mechanism. The pressure in the bottle is the whole point, otherwise the beer will foam just like when you pour a pint! The pressure is of course momentarily released before you can cap it.

None of the films I watched had a rubber bottle stopper on a Blichmann Beergun which is the process I was talking about?
:scratch:
Maysie
Brewer

Postby jkp » Fri Oct 21, 2016 16:58

Maysie wrote:None of the films I watched had a rubber bottle stopper on a Blichmann Beergun which is the process I was talking about?
:scratch:

Sorry I was talking about the products linked to above. I've not used a Blichmann so I can't comment on that.

jkp
Brewer

Previous