Bottle filling options.

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Bottle filling options.

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 14:05

Next year I'll need the facility to bottle beers without sediment.

I won't have a fridge/freezer capable of taking kegs, not will I be able to get o e so that means my options lie with chilling the bottles and running the beer through the under counter chiller twice.

The way that I see it I have a few options....

Starting with the Blichmann beer gun

Fermentap CP filler

Biermuncher bottle filler

Or just fill it direct from the tap with tubing so the beer gets to the bottom of the bottle.

I'm thinking the beer gun would probably be my best bet but I'm open to suggestions.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Bottle filling options.

Postby Joe1002 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 14:33

Pegas counter pressure filler. If you use pet bottles that is. Or a Chinese knock of for about £30

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Re: Bottle filling options.

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 14:57

Unfortunately I'll be using glass bottles.

Not usually fussed but some will be for my wedding and others will be for ww2 weekends that I attend.

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby LeeH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 15:26

I use the Blichmann, it's great.

But without a temp controlled keg to insure correct carbonation I can see it being problematic.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Sun Oct 16, 2016 16:28

krazypara3165 wrote:Unfortunately I'll be using glass bottles.

Not usually fussed but some will be for my wedding and others will be for ww2 weekends that I attend.

If you use a washer that has been shaped, the pegas works wells with glass bottles.
linky
Goulders
Brewer

Postby Springer » Sun Oct 16, 2016 19:52

We have been here before, but this time I have my wallet out .............nearly :)
S

It's a dog life :D
Springer
Brewer

Postby donnyos » Sun Oct 16, 2016 20:25

I read and read through many posts before buying a Beergun, second hand actually and love it. I find putting the keg/cornie in the chest freezer (about 5/6 hours works for me) / keezer/ fermentation fridge as close to 0C gets it down to a few degrees above 0 and with pressure around 10psi my son and I can bottle like demons with next to no foaming. I crash chill in my FV before it goes into Cornies, so from fermentation 20C to a day at 14 C then a day at 4C which removes loads of crud before i move it to a cornie and then the cheapest way to remove cornie sediment is just time... no matter how well i filter in mashtun, kettle, pump and no matter how well I crash chill the FV and leave the cornie alone there will be some sediment so if the bottling vessel is in a fridge/ freezer/outside at this time of year/ put it somewhere you don't need to move it while bottling to stop stirring up sediment.
After lots of trial and error, my bottles are now sedment free without having to use finings anywhere.
I do love bottle-bonditioned beers still with some sediment as they are as close to cask as you can get, mind !
In summary, I'd advise time and low temperatures and no movement of the final keg/cask/ cornie will drop so much of the sediment you want to lose. Even putting a keg/ Cornie outside overnight at this time of year will help if you don't have freezers/ fermentation fridges!
donnyos
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 13:01

Cheers. I'm now edging towards the pegas but they are proving difficult to find - and I'd need to modify a washer.

That said I struggle to see how the pegas extends shelf live over the beer gun as you have to release the filler to cap the bottle anyway therefore exposing it to air?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 13:16

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/326025205 ... y#autostay I've found this and wondering if it is worth a shot?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Goulders » Mon Oct 17, 2016 13:30

krazypara3165 wrote:Cheers. I'm now edging towards the pegas but they are proving difficult to find - and I'd need to modify a washer.

That said I struggle to see how the pegas extends shelf live over the beer gun as you have to release the filler to cap the bottle anyway therefore exposing it to air?

No because you cap on foam as it releases the pressure. The Pegas is easier to set up than a beer gun as well. I have some washers left over. If you ever go the Pegas route I could send you one with a template drawn on. Not prepared to grind one down though!
Goulders
Brewer

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 14:05

Goulders wrote:I have some washers left over. If you ever go the Pegas route I could send you one with a template drawn on. Not prepared to grind one down though!

I would quite like one of those if you have a few spare? I'm happy to grind it down. :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Bottle filling options.

Postby f00b4r » Mon Oct 17, 2016 15:12

Goulders wrote:
krazypara3165 wrote:Cheers. I'm now edging towards the pegas but they are proving difficult to find - and I'd need to modify a washer.

No because you cap on foam as it releases the pressure. The Pegas is easier to set up than a beer gun as well. I have some washers left over. If you ever go the Pegas route I could send you one with a template drawn on. Not prepared to grind one down though!

If there was interest I was thinking about having a few laser cut but need a decent template to send off (not sure if a drawing or washer would be needed).

Just realised mine would be for the evolution model so I would need to check if it required the same as the eco one.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Mon Oct 17, 2016 16:00

I think the washer is the same. It would be worth grinding one down first and then getting laser cut, probably (although I'm no expert compared to others on the forums)!
Goulders
Brewer

Postby aamcle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 21:09

I'm giving my beer gun a run out this week filling from a Corny so that's less applicable but I've also bottled using a home made CFC from a plastic pressure barrel.
The CFC was made for plastic bottles (unless modified) but it cost nothing and worked, I think a beer gun would would work with everything cold.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/74451 ... try1062270

Do you know you can force carbonate in a 5 litre mini keg? I've done it then pop a tap on top :)

aamcle
aamcle
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Mon Oct 17, 2016 22:22

Goulders wrote:I think the washer is the same. It would be worth grinding one down first and then getting laser cut, probably (although I'm no expert compared to others on the forums)!

From reading it around it looks like it is :)
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby demig » Tue Oct 18, 2016 13:19

I'll grind a couple down and pop one round for you and we can see if it fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
demig
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Tue Oct 18, 2016 16:38

demig wrote:I'll grind a couple down and pop one round for you and we can see if it fits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good, although the Evolution model actually requires a second one as well.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 07:18

krazypara3165 wrote:https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32602520501.html?aff_click_id=1156309cb9ab4703ae2f782d764be2d1-1476557302989-02202-qbyZzJAI6&aff_platform=y#autostay I've found this and wondering if it is worth a shot?

I've got one of these. They do work on standard glass bottles, but won't take the ones with a short rim at the top (the ones like Fuller's 1845 for example). The nice thing is that it holds the bottle in place leaving your hands free to adjust the flow and prepare a cap to go on.

I've also got one of these LINK
It needs two hands to operate but it will fill almost any size bottle.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29

Apologies if this is a daft question, but when using the Blichmann Beergun, is the usual process to force carb the beer in the corny and wait for the sediment to all settle out before decanting carbed beer into the bottles?

If so, how comes the beer doesnt foam out when being bottled?

Or is the beer in the corny not really carbed as part of the corny storage process, meaning the corny is acting as a 'settlement' vessel, so the bottling process with the beergun is where the beer is carbed?

I assume the benefit of the beergun is purely to get clearer beer in the bottles for a sediment free pour?

TIA
Maysie
Brewer

Postby jkp » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11

Maysie wrote:Apologies if this is a daft question, but when using the Blichmann Beergun, is the usual process to force carb the beer in the corny and wait for the sediment to all settle out before decanting carbed beer into the bottles?

If so, how comes the beer doesnt foam out when being bottled?

Or is the beer in the corny not really carbed as part of the corny storage process, meaning the corny is acting as a 'settlement' vessel, so the bottling process with the beergun is where the beer is carbed?

I assume the benefit of the beergun is purely to get clearer beer in the bottles for a sediment free pour?

TIA

The bottle gets filled with co2 first, hence it's under pressure, then the already carbed beer goes in. The pressure is slowly released and the bottle fills up, but it's the filling under pressure which prevents lots of foam. You do still need to fill quite slowly and make sure the beer and bottles are cold. You do lose a bit of pressure between filling and capping, so it might be an idea to very slightly over carb.

jkp
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 15:45

Thank you.

I am quite intrigued by the whole process as I do like having my beer in bottles, but like the idea of the simplicty of kegging and the ability to carb without priming sugar to reduce the sediment.

It does look like quite an additional layer of faff though if you have already kegged the beer!

Portability of reduced sediment beers is the main benefit I guess. Exactly as the OP's question!
(He grabs his dunces cone and walks himself to the corner...)
Maysie
Brewer

Postby aamcle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 07:23

I've just filled a batch worth with a Beer Gun, it is more trouble to use than a "Little Bottler" from a bulk primed bucket.
The gun it's self needs a fair bit of cleaning, then you need a keg (they leak), a Co2 bottle, gas regulators and if your going to use glass bottles rather than Coopers plastic bottles you need the facility to chill the bottles.

When you put it together it's a lot just to keep a layer of sediment from forming on the bottom of the bottle.

aamcle
aamcle
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Thu Oct 20, 2016 07:27

I don't have any of the issues you mention aamcle, how bizarre.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Thu Oct 20, 2016 09:55

https://www.morebeer.com/products/delux ... iller.html

I got this one its on the top 2 best buys for me. You need the gauge also it makes life much easier.
beer buddah
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:22

aamcle wrote:I've just filled a batch worth with a Beer Gun, it is more trouble to use than a "Little Bottler" from a bulk primed bucket.
The gun it's self needs a fair bit of cleaning, then you need a keg (they leak), a Co2 bottle, gas regulators and if your going to use glass bottles rather than Coopers plastic bottles you need the facility to chill the bottles.

When you put it together it's a lot just to keep a layer of sediment from forming on the bottom of the bottle.

aamcle

Kegs leak? not mine..
supersteve
Brewer

Next