Serving pressure when using a shelf chiller

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Serving pressure when using a shelf chiller

Postby jkp » Wed Oct 12, 2016 15:58

Hi all

I usually server my beer from cold kegs using the carbonation charts to set the correct serving pressure. This works fine, but recently I gave a keg of my beer to someone who serves their beer from room temperature kegs via a shelf or line chiller. Today (after about 2 weeks) he told me that the beer was losing pressure. I'm wondering if his CO2 pressure is set too low to keep proper carbonation in the keg.

I'd like to ask what is the proper pressure to use for serving from warm kegs like this? I assume that it's exactly the same as with chilled kegs just by looking up the carbonation chart. So for example, for 2.5 vols at room temperature I should set the pressure at about 0.2 MPa or about 30 psi. Is that right or is there some special consideration needed?

jkp
Brewer

Re: Serving pressure when using a shelf chiller

Postby PhatFil » Fri Oct 14, 2016 20:25

Welcome to my world.. best advice i can offer is to keep the kegs as cool n stable temperature wise as possible.

If you can maintain a constant temp then refer to the conditioning chart and set the serving pressure accordingly, YOu will however need to take some pressure reduction measures with your pre tap feed which may in turn result in a slow pour, but the beer should retain condition both in the keg and glass.
( as a rule of thumb 3/16" microline restricts circa 1-2psi per foot length...)

If however the keg temp will fluctuate with ambient conditions, its a case of set up to pour with a lower than optimal serving pressure and accept while temps remain higher than optimum you will loose a degree of condition in the keg, and when the temp falls below optimum you will gain condition.

when kegs are warmer than optimum VENT/burp the keg to shed excess pressure that will fobb the first few pints poured if not vented before an evenings pouring.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sun Oct 16, 2016 15:41

I had this set up, it was problematic for the obvious reasons.

You have to control both variables, if you cannot it's just a constant fight I'm afraid.

I binned my chiller and now use a fridge.
LeeH
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sun Oct 16, 2016 16:04

Thanks for the replies. Today I went over to check how my beer is pouring. This is now a second keg which I took over on Friday. Today it's pouring but without any head or carbonation at all. I'm gutted as it was nicely carbed on Friday. The co2 is set at 35 psi, so I'm confused at how it's lost carbonation. The gas is split between two kegs using a T, but I can't see that being the cause..... I'm going to take over my own gas tank to connect just to check.

jkp
Brewer