Kegerator taps - how do you clean yours?

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Kegerator taps - how do you clean yours?

Postby The Goatreich » Fri Sep 02, 2016 15:13

Tomorrow I'm making a start on making my kegerator. I've only bought one tap at the moment, but I'll measure up so that I can have one tap per keg that will fit in there.

However, I would ideally like to keep this all nice and clean, so every pint is a decent one. My thoughts were to get some purple line cleaner in a 2l plastic bottle, and some water in another plastic bottle, along with two of these converters http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbonation-C ... 1889751977. Using these I can then quickly clean the beer line when changing a keg.

However I'm a bit concerned with the tap I bought from the malt miller, as it doesn't have a detachable spout, meaning I can't give it the cleaning I was hoping to after I've finished with my drinking for the day. What's the best method to clean one of these? Is just squirting some sanitiser up there after use enough?
here's a link to the tap:
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=762

If these taps are no good going forward, does anyone have recommendations for taps that don't cost the earth?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Re: Kegerator taps - how do you clean yours?

Postby tim_n » Fri Sep 02, 2016 15:20

When you "pull" the line cleaner through, you pull some into the tap head itself.

You leave it there 10-15m, then you clean through with a good amount of water.

Then you put beer through it.

I have a rubber bung I got at THBFestival which I stick over the hole to stop flies etc getting in. But that's about it. I usually end up chucking about 1/4 of a pint each day which has sat in the lines overnight and tastes a bit funky. I clean once a week. Not dead or even slightly ill yet and I have the worst constitution for that sort of thing.

Never taken a tap apart... seems overkill to me. But then again I've only been kegging for about a year.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Fri Sep 02, 2016 15:33

Interesting, that could save me a decent amount of money if I can continue to use these taps.

Do you pull the line cleaner and rinse water through from a pressurised container?

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby wezzel » Fri Sep 02, 2016 18:16

Crikey. I'm a slob. I only clean my lines and tap when refilling a keg and wouldn't dream of chucking any precious beer away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wezzel
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Fri Sep 02, 2016 20:20

The Goatreich wrote:Interesting, that could save me a decent amount of money if I can continue to use these taps.

Do you pull the line cleaner and rinse water through from a pressurised container?

I (have) used exactly your proposed setup, with a bit of beer line attached to the converter into the 1.5ltr coke bottle I use. I haven't tried pressuring with the beer line attached, so what I used to do was pressurise the bottle with purple line cleaner in and attach to taps. Then I would turn the bottle upside down on the beer line and let it flow through, giving it a good squeeze when the pressure inevitably ran out. Then swapped to a bottle of water, depressurised and did it again. My beer lines are very short.

Currently I have two spare kegs I've been using for the same effect. Kegs are easier - but it's £70 for a line cleaning solution as opposed to £14!

I also use it unpressurised on my hand pump to do the same thing.

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby Brewedout » Fri Sep 02, 2016 21:14

A flow jet gas powered pump can be connected up to a Chinese ss plastic bottle cap. Liquid line drops into a bucket of cleaner liquid out line connects to the tail of the ss cap. Disconnects clip directly on. The advantage is you can clean your lines without dismantling. Can do corny valves too. Keep a look out on eBay they come up cheap from time to time.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Brewedout
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Mon Sep 05, 2016 09:33

Brewedout wrote:A flow jet gas powered pump can be connected up to a Chinese ss plastic bottle cap. Liquid line drops into a bucket of cleaner liquid out line connects to the tail of the ss cap. Disconnects clip directly on. The advantage is you can clean your lines without dismantling. Can do corny valves too. Keep a look out on eBay they come up cheap from time to time.

Any pics of this? I'm having trouble working out what you mean

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby wezzel » Mon Sep 05, 2016 18:45

Ok, I've been shamed into buying a carbonation cap too. Thanks for the tip and no more slovenly keg cleaning practices for me from now on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wezzel
Brewer

Postby Brewedout » Mon Sep 05, 2016 20:06

Like this...

The grey lines are for gas in (from regulator) and out (to the air). The gas powers the pump.

The white liquid line drops into a bucket of cleaner. The quick disconnect that goes onto the keg to draw liquid to the tap/faucet goes onto the stainless steel bottle carbonation cap. This is a universal one that fits gas and liquid quick disconnects.

If you want to clean your keg posts without dismantling then make up a line with a grey and black quick disconnect (see below) and then run line cleaner through each post in turn by swapping the ends around on the carbonation cap.

Hopefully this makes a bit more sense?
Brewedout
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Sep 06, 2016 09:40

Yes much more sense - I know what I'm looking for now :)

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Sep 06, 2016 16:55

Have bought two. Not because I wanted two, but because I couldn't find them easily, so bought a set off two off eBay so am now selling one in the wanted forum.

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby Brewedout » Wed Sep 07, 2016 00:22

tim_n wrote:Yes much more sense - I know what I'm looking for now :)

Glad you sorted it

Brewedout
Brewer