Corny Poppet Question

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Corny Poppet Question

Postby Maysie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:25

Good Morning All

I have recently stripped down a couple of my Corny kegs for a 'full clean and service' and found that one of the poppets inside the 'out' connector was stuck right up inside valve. The others have all just dropped out as normal.

The poppet looks like it is meant to be like this though, as the 'tripod' feet at the base of the poppet are all perfectly seated within an internal groove inside the valve. Does anyone know if this is some special sort of poppet, or if I should just get a screwdriver and just force it out like the others?

I am reluctant to break it as the other poppets all seem absolutely fine.
TIA
Maysie
Brewer

Re: Corny Poppet Question

Postby kev » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:23

You can force it out but you risk breaking it. I normally clean in place for these valves.

Flush through hot pbw a few times then starsan. Job done.

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kev
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:28

That is exactly what I have done so far (ie clean and sterilise - not break it) and it seems to be working fine. So is this a special type of post/poppet arrangement?
Maysie
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:58

I knew it would be on here somewhere if I looked hard enough....

GrahamT's image on here is exactly the same as mine, so it looks like I may need to get some universal poppets in stock.
viewtopic.php?t=7240&p=99860
Maysie
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Mon Aug 08, 2016 17:31

I've just been replacing O-rings on "poppets" so I know where you are coming from.

Older (or is it newer?) poppets had stiff legs and held in place with friction (once the post is screwed onto the keg the poppet isn't going anywhere). They can be just pushed out. Newer (or is I older?) poppets have flimsy legs and hold on a little step in the post. The legs can be bent in slightly (they are very bendy and wont break) so the poppet is released, and the legs bent out slightly before inserting back in so they clip in place. Bending them in slightly while in the post is a real pain. Some posts have an flared recess so just pushing the poppet in a bit further forces the legs inwards, others are without such a convenience and need two very fine screwdrivers, one to stop the poppet rotating and the other to do the bending (it doesn't take much to bend them fortunately). The legs will still want slightly bending outwards again so that they will "click" into position.

Mucking about with the poppet will probably undo the "riveted" bit. A pain, but as long as you can get them to hold together long enough to insert into the post, that's enough, the poppet isn't going anywhere then.

Replace the O-ring; I read somewhere they are size "BS008" but they do seem a bit big. Might try some "BS007" next time, but the old one I took (cut) out are all different sizes anyway. The O-rings don't sit in a groove, but are held by a small annular cup (and the poppet spring).

Phew. Once done, sit back, have a cup of tea, and reflect on why the O-ring kits for Corny kegs don't include those for poppets!

(EDIT: Instructions to help the very determined only. I've covered three types of poppet that may be encountered, there is probably more! Every manufacturer had their own poppet design apparently. :hmm: ... okay, I've ordered some "universal" poppets now.)
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby Brewedout » Tue Aug 09, 2016 21:01

Universal puppets are much easier, after removing the old poppers with a screwdriver. Easier to clean too. These days not too expensive either.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Brewedout
Brewer