Beer-line motorised valves

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Re: Beer-line motorised valves

Postby rpt » Wed Oct 26, 2016 17:01

I'm so glad I've got Sankey kegs. They just work.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

rpt
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Wed Oct 26, 2016 23:59

rpt wrote:I'm so glad I've got Sankey kegs. They just work.

Sort of missing the point. Stick a hand-pump on a Corny keg with no CO2 supply and it will work, but the negative pressure it generates will suck air past the lid seal and the beer will go off. A hand-pump on a Sankey keg with no CO2 supply can't drag air past a seal (I don't think) thus creating a vacuum - it won't "just work", it "just won't work"!

Beer going off in the pump cylinder between sessions, unexpected leaks in the beer line, ... Where are the answers to these issues using a Sankey keg (or any other pressured vessel)?
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Oct 27, 2016 08:04

Why would you be using a Sankey without CO2? Most people would just use an aspirator with a hand pump for Sankeys...problem solved.

And it would actually work if you remove the non return valve from the coupler.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 08:58

I usually dispense beer from a Sankey keg through a hand pump without turning the CO2 on. If the pressure gets too low it won't dispense and I just give it a blast of gas. There is no risk of air being sucked in. They are fool proof unlike Corny kegs where the beer can go off if the pressure gets low.

rpt
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:18

rpt wrote:I usually dispense beer from a Sankey keg through a hand pump without turning the CO2 on. If the pressure gets too low it won't dispense and I just give it a blast of gas. There is no risk of air being sucked in. They are fool proof unlike Corny kegs where the beer can go off if the pressure gets low.

Thanks for confirming it "just wont work". I wasn't suggesting that would be a bad thing as in these circumstances it would be a good thing, just criticising your choice of wording. Aye, and I understand some Corny kegs will fail to seal when the "pressure gets low", not just when the pressure falls below zero PSI.

But don't berate me for having Corny kegs not Sankey ones - they were once cheap and I'm not going to spend loads of money on replacing them with Sankey kegs, nor are the thousands of others using Corny kegs. And I do get "added value" from the solenoid valves (listed above) that Sankey kegs do not address. I already get earache from another user here for using Corny kegs and not "real" containers: Talking of whom...

Kyle_T wrote:Why would you be using a Sankey without CO2? Most people would ...

Wouldn't suggest using a Sankey without CO2, I was suggesting using a keg while forgetting to turn on the CO2. You wouldn't do that? Yeah, I remember a time when I could think like that too.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:24

I'm not berating anyone for having Corny kegs, I'm just putting my opinion forward to help those without kegs choose.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:29

Oddly enough, no I wouldn't as I never turn my CO2 off.

Touch wood I have never had an issue with a gas leak from the fittings or the regulator and the gas used to remain on 24/7.

When I did use Sankeys I only had an aspirator in place and it was a simple and straight forward affair, as for beer in the cylinder that only went off as I left it sitting far too long between uses.

It is a nice system to look at but it appears to be a lot of extra equipment for something that should be relatively straight forward but I commend the effort in resolving your problems.

After all, it's what works for the brewer.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:34

I actually had zero Issues using a Corny Keg with a hand pump that only required a Demand valve and cask aspirator hooked up to CO2. No issues with it sealing, no issues with leaks, and no issues with beer going off. . . . All easily achievable without having to come up with what, to me, is an over complicated method to resolve issues that already have simple solutions.

I love your ingenuity, but do wonder if you are actually looking for a problem to solve, when in reality the problem is nowhere as frequent or complex as the solution you implement.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Thu Oct 27, 2016 13:49

rpt wrote:I'm not berating anyone for having Corny kegs, I'm just putting my opinion forward to help those without kegs choose.

And as cheap Corny kegs get harder to find I hope those looking for kegs take note. :thumb:

Aleman wrote:I actually had zero Issues using a Corny Keg with a hand pump ...

Cheers Aleman.

If I'd had no issues I'd never have embarked on this project. But bad luck follows me about at the moment - first my 6Kg CO2 cylinder unexpectedly empties in nine months due to an insidious silent leak. That sparks off the anxiety so the CO2 gets shut off when not using it. Followed by learning what happens when using hand-pumps with Corny kegs and forgetting to turn the CO2 back on. And so it goes on, but that's enough for this thread.

So the solution does add complexity, but to get some sleep at night I think it has been a well pared down straight-forward solution. So I post it hoping to help others who need to deal with similar issues. For anyone without such concerns ignoring these solutions and keeping it simple has a lot going for it. I'm jealous. Instead I'm reminded of how things go wrong by stumbling into "relieving regulators" (subject of another thread). Fortunately this thread's solution ties in with a solution to deal with those regulators. A plastic pressure barrel, or two, with a little CO2 cylinder kept me going for 40 years: Happy days. But I do brew much better beer now and have a reputation to uphold.

Kyle_T wrote:Oddly enough, no I wouldn't as I never turn my CO2 off...

Cheers Kyle. Hopefully my reply to "Aleman" explains where I'm coming from.
PeeBee
Brewer

Previous