New kegerator ready to be built

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

New kegerator ready to be built

Postby The Goatreich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 15:27

Pretty darn chuffed, I managed to score a larder fridge on Gumtree for £10, so I now have the beginnings of a kegerator. I have a total of 8 cornies, but can only fit 4 in the fridge at once, presuming the gas bottle is kept outside. My plan is to have one cornie filled with line cleaner, one with water, and one spare, until such a time as I need all 8 for beer storage.

I think to start with I'm going to have to share one pressure for all kegs, but I will have to change that at some point as I plan to have one of the kegs for white wine, and so I guess this will end up being force carbonated if I store it at the same pressure as I would my beers.

Any tips for keeping all the lines and taps clean? Do I need to get a certain type of tap in order to be able to clean them easily? What about beer line? I'm serving off about 3m of 3/16" (I think) line at shed temperature, (WARM today!) and it's a slow pour, but comes out decently.

Currently I'm waiting a few hours after moving the fridge for it to settle, and then I'll turn it on with my one full cornie and the gas bottle, and party tap inside. I just can't wait to actually pour a chilled and correctly carbonated homebrewed beer.

Fermenting: AG#28 Things Can Only Get Bitter
Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
----------------------------------------------
Twitter: @andimorris616
Instagram: @andimorris616
The Goatreich
Brewer

Re: New kegerator ready to be built

Postby supersteve » Sun Jul 10, 2016 20:41

Looks like you can get a few in there
supersteve
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Sun Jul 10, 2016 22:28

Yep, from a quick measure up it should take 4, maybe 5 at a push.

Conditioning:
Drinking: AG#25 Williamsburg Wannabe, AG#26 #Tis the Saison, AG#27 Winter Equinox
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Adrian_98_uk » Wed Jul 13, 2016 14:32

I've got 2 fridge freezers for nothing but don't know about splitting the controller for fridge/freezer, will probably just use one as a fermenter and the other as a kegerator and ignore the freezer compartments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Adrian_98_uk
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Mon Aug 08, 2016 16:08

OK, payday is looming and I want to make a start on getting this up and running properly.

Any tips on faucets?
What's the best way to run multiple gas lines for around 5 or 6 kegs? Obviously I'd love to be able to give them different pressures (I'd like to be able to serve wine from this, but without carbonating it for example), but that might need to wait.
What about beer line, currently I am using very thin beer line as it meant I wouldn't get too much foam when serving at room temperature, however now I can control the temperature I guess I can apply that calculation (if I can find it) to work out the right length of beer line. Is it easy enough to achieve a good pour?

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 14:07

I have just bought the SS Intertap with flow adjuster from the Malt Miller and it seems like a lovely piece of kit.
It doesnt come with an internal spring though which I think I would have chosen had I realised it doesnt snap back into place. The barbed tap fitting takes 5/16 beer line.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Aug 11, 2016 15:26

Nice, thanks.

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Aug 11, 2016 16:38

That flow control SS tap looks great, but pretty expensive considering I'd ideally have 6 or so of them (I need to try to fit all my kegs in this weekend and see just how many I can have in there).

Does the basic one do well for a starter?
http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.ph ... ductId=762

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 17:59

Agreed. 6 of them would start to make your eyes water. The non-flow-control ones are much cheaper, but by the time you have added the shanks they will start to add up!
Maysie
Brewer

Postby The Goatreich » Thu Aug 11, 2016 18:18

Indeed, I have my eye on a gas management board too, this could end up a costly affair!
I think I may start with perhaps 2 or 3 taps and kegs setup, and expand as money allows. I won't have enough money to brew beer to go in the kegs otherwise!

As an aside, is it possible to serve wine from these without accidentally force carbing? I'm guessing that force carbing ale at around 20psi will be fine and then just a general serving pressure of 5psi for the beer and wine should work without adding more carbonation?

Conditioning:
The Goatreich
Brewer