CO2 Tackle

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

CO2 Tackle

Postby PeeBee » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:36

Those that have been reading my "cask conditioned" threads will know I've been mucking about with CO2 bits and bobs of late. (Seems contradictory marrying CO2 and "cask conditioned", but the reasons for that are in those threads). Specifically what I'm mucking about with at the moment is a reliable "venting" technique; one that doesn't spray beer into your CO2 regulator or over-does it and causes the keg lid's seal to break - if using "Corny" kegs that is. Along the way, sourcing bits and bobs, I found myself drawn towards the "fish aquarium" market.

I'm pretty impressed with the "aquarium" kit, and am currently throwing out the lumbering great big "welders" regulator and replacing it with an aquarium one that fits in the palm of a hand. Okay, they are fixed output (about 40-50psi) but as I use "secondary" regulators that's no bother. And the welders' regulator would struggle to hold as low as even 15psi (and that would be +/- 5psi on different days). And instead of tedious semi-rigid 3/8" gas-line, the "aquarium" bunch use much more friendly flexible 4mm (ID) polyurethane line (in bright blue is you want it).

My question is: Others of you must be using this "aquarium" CO2 tackle, or tried to use it. Are there problems using this tackle that I'm about to rediscover?

Caution: For anyone reading this and inspired to give it a go. "Aquarium" kit is more angled towards "flow" than "absolute pressure". This makes some kit useless to us brewers. Although controlling "flow" is what I'm doing devising a "venting" procedure with bubble counters and needle valves.
PeeBee
Brewer

Re: CO2 Tackle

Postby PeeBee » Sat Jul 02, 2016 13:44

I'll have to conclude others aren't using this aquarium kit, so I'm left beating my own path through this.

But one bit of useful information I was forced to find out myself:

Having written that "caution" note on the first post in the thread, that is exactly the issue that trips me up! If you buy stuff from China (via Ebay) you might ask if it will do this or that. The answer is often "yes", but the reality is often "no". And then what can you do about it? Admitting you're not using the stuff exactly as they intended wipes out any arguments you might have. It's very risky buying stuff from China, you might pay a bit more buying from the UK but it's a lot more reliable even when the stuff you are buying is made in China anyway. In the long run buying stuff in the UK probably works out cheaper. One useless (and very dangerous) regulator cost me £14, saving me £10 if only it had worked.

But to get back on track: One company doing this aquarium tackle and who I've found very helpful is "co2art.co.uk". There will be others.
PeeBee
Brewer