Priming

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Priming

Postby haggis51 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 09:24

I've bought a couple of pub gas cylinders but still not set them up yet. Just wondering, do I still need to prime the beer to be dispensed from the corny kegs? Do you brewers recommend force carbonating or carbonating over a longer period?
Cheers
haggis51
Brewer

Re: Priming

Postby Asimov » Tue Jun 11, 2019 17:10

Hi Haggis, no you do not need to prime your beer if you are carbonating it with CO2. I usually force carb at around 30psi for about two days, giving the kegs a good old shake each day, and then reduce the pressure down to my serving pressure.
Asimov
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Jun 12, 2019 06:34

haggis51 wrote:I've bought a couple of pub gas cylinders but still not set them up yet. Just wondering, do I still need to prime the beer to be dispensed from the corny kegs? Do you brewers recommend force carbonating or carbonating over a longer period?
Cheers

I prefer to carbonate naturally ( 2.5 grs a litre sugar priming) and use gas to serve. I also use a float take off and get crystal clear beer from the first to last glass. This way a 5 kg cylinder of gas will last years.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby haggis51 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:35

Asimov wrote:Hi Haggis, no you do not need to prime your beer if you are carbonating it with CO2. I usually force carb at around 30psi for about two days, giving the kegs a good old shake each day, and then reduce the pressure down to my serving pressure.

Hi Asimov, thanks for your advice, will give that a try.
haggis51
Brewer

Postby haggis51 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:38

INDIAPALEALE wrote:
haggis51 wrote:I've bought a couple of pub gas cylinders but still not set them up yet. Just wondering, do I still need to prime the beer to be dispensed from the corny kegs? Do you brewers recommend force carbonating or carbonating over a longer period?
Cheers

I prefer to carbonate naturally ( 2.5 grs a litre sugar priming) and use gas to serve. I also use a float take off and get crystal clear beer from the first to last glass. This way a 5 kg cylinder of gas will last years.

Hi INDIAPALEALE, thanks for your reply. I've read online and through the forums about using float take offs in Cornies. Might give that a try too.
haggis51
Brewer