shelf chiller

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

shelf chiller

Postby sledgehammer » Sun Jun 18, 2017 21:08

hi
my shelf chiller is struggeling to keep up in this unseasional hot spell any ideas i can do to lower the load on it
i have the python supplying a coil of 10mm copper tubing wrapped around the cask the cask/cooling coils are wrapped in 7m of foilised bubblewrap to insulate it (that is normally enough)

steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Re: shelf chiller

Postby PeeBee » Tue Jun 20, 2017 16:03

It doesn't sound like you can do any more to insulate the kegs, and I guess the lines supplying the coils are insulated too.

So you might look at the siting of the unit? You can't insulate it! It would quickly overheat, but you can make sure it is sited somewhere with good ventilation so the hot air (lots) it generates doesn't hang about it. That's all I can think of. My own shelf-chillers aren't properly commissioned yet so perhaps I'm yet to learn more in-depth tips (and learn fast; the newly brewed batch is sitting in its secondary at 19-20C).

"Unseasonal hot spell". It's Summer! Give Blighty some credit.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Tue Jun 20, 2017 20:45

the pipes are not insulated as im running 1/2" inside diameter reinforced food grade PVC pipe i could run the python pipes in 3/8" line insulated
eventually i will improve the insulation around the cask into a proper jacket (just got to find somebody that can help me do it (ideas welcome ie to sew or to glue?)
really struggeling in this hot weather the ice bank is struggeling to get below 4 degrees

steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby dmfcb750 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 23:45

If you know anyone in the printing business, magazines and the like. Ask if they use off-set printing blankets. Buy a used one and see if it will fit over the cask. They make great insulating material. Thick, multi ply rubber coated materials.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
dmfcb750
Brewer