[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - [BIAB] AG#5 Red Right Hand (Elderberry Stout)

[BIAB] AG#5 Red Right Hand (Elderberry Stout)

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

[BIAB] AG#5 Red Right Hand (Elderberry Stout)

Postby MPLMPL » Tue Oct 21, 2014 23:51

He's a god, he's a man, he's a ghost, he's a guru.
They're whispering his name through this disappearing land, but hidden in his coat is a red right hand.

Well,it's half term and I've got the house to myself for a couple of days, so I got an overnight mash on last night and returned to it after work today to complete the brewday. This is a variation on Aleman's Effin Oatmeal Stout, I've split the batch, I ended up with 21L at 1062. I'm fermenting ~ 8L with elderberries (cf. graysalchemy's Elizium Elderberry Stout) and the other 13L unadulterated (although I may have plans for 4L of this...). I struggled to think of anything to call it that would continue my musical theme, that was until I squeezed the bag of elderberries...
I'll post more details and photos tomorrow, I'm too tired to do it now.

Red Right Hand
Oatmeal Stout

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.415
Total Hops (g): 75.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.061 (°P): 15.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.99 %
Colour (SRM): 33.3 (EBC): 65.6
Bitterness (IBU): 44.2 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
3.500 kg Maris Otter Malt (64.64%)
0.500 kg Flaked Oats (9.23%)
0.350 kg Flaked Barley (6.46%)
0.270 kg Brown Malt (4.99%)
0.270 kg Crystal 60 (4.99%)
0.225 kg Roasted Barley (4.16%)
0.200 kg Chocolate (3.69%)
0.100 kg Oat Malt (1.85%)

Hop Bill
----------------
55.0 g Bramling Cross 2013 Leaf (6.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2.8 g/L)
20.0 g Bramling Cross 2013 Leaf (6.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
0.3 g Protafloc @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
500.0 g Elderberries @ 0 Days (Primary fermented with 8L of wort)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Safeale S-04

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Re: [BIAB] AG#5 Red Right Hand (Elderberry Stout)

Postby Bad 'Ed » Wed Oct 22, 2014 00:00

I like the idea of splitting batches, but I fear if you're anything like me it may inhibit the desirable ageing process stouts should go through...

Also, if you're at work what's half term got anything to do with your brew day? Does your better half take the kids away on holiday to give you brewing space? Or perhaps the rest of your family are part of a performing troupe who only do their act on school holidays? So many possibilities, so few that come from a sober brain.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Wed Oct 22, 2014 00:02

Looks great. I like the sound of the Elderberries in that.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby MPLMPL » Wed Oct 22, 2014 14:43

Brewday photos:

22L of strike water heated to 69C, net curtain secured with bungee.

Grain shot (all the dark stuff is buried under the MO). Toasted oats at 150C for 30 mins.

Mash temp 65C. No glucan rest as I couldn't really find a definitive answer as to whether it is needed for BIAB, so we'll see how it goes.

Wrapped up in thermawrap.

Tucked away for an overnight mash.

20 hours later... Mashout at 76C for 10 mins. Then pulled bag, drained over upturned colander in fv (forgot photo). Returned this to pan and then opened bag in fv and added 6L of ~75C water. Gave this a stir and drained and added this to the boil.

The hops and the boil.

Pre-boil gravity 1.056

Elderberries being boiled and mashed up with a bit of water. Only got 500g from the tree in the garden, thought there would be more, but a combination of leaving it late to pick and birds took care of a lot of the crop.

Refreshments. This was my elderberry stout that was brewed one year ago to the day. Still have a good few left and it gets better and better with age. This was pre-AG (DME, oat malt, crystal 60, black malt, chocolate malt, Northdown hops and elderberries).

Chiller going in with 15 mins to go.

21L of SG 1.062
Rehydrating yeast. Used a packet of Safale S04 in each fv.

I'll now ignore these for the next couple of weeks. Healthy signs of bulging lid/regular airlock activity and krausen by this morning.

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Sun Nov 09, 2014 19:43

Bottled the unadulterated portion of this today (8.5L). The 8L of elderberry stout will be bottled next week and perhaps the ~4L of blackcurrant and liquorice stout.
Bottled with 27g of sugar to give 1.8 vols CO2.
I was surprised by the FG of 1.010 giving a character building 6.8%.
Wasn't expecting S04 to go that low from 1.062, even with a 65C mash.
What can I say, the trial jar sample tastes fantastic. A real depth of roasty flavours, the right amount of bitterness and silky smooth. This is going to be a winner. All hail to the Aleman for the recipe.

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 20:48

I didn't see this thread when you posted it, it seemed to miss me. I am glad that you ahve had a go at the elderbery stout. It will not disapoint and it does just get better mine is probably 2 yrs old now and it is wonderful, I may well have a bottle tonight.

Glad you got the musical theme as after a couple of bottles of this I enter the elizium dead but dreaming state to the dulcete tones of McCoy.

graysalchemy

Postby MPLMPL » Sun Dec 14, 2014 00:11

First bottle of this tonight (the portion fermented without elderberries, simply Aleman's Effin Oatmeal Stout - AEOS), bottled five weeks ago. It's only going to get better with a few months aging, but this is fantastic already. Silky smooth, roasty, chocolatey loveliness. Absolutely spot on. This was brewed slightly stronger and with a few more IBUs than the original (and I upped the roasted barley a touch); however, it owes its success to the original recipe. I think everyone should give AEOS a go, you won't be disappointed.

A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer