Alemans Effin Oatmeal Stout

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Re: Alemans Effin Oatmeal Stout

Postby Northern Brewer » Mon Sep 11, 2017 21:33

Brewday complete, it was a long one, I got 70 litres of 1.052, I was aiming for more but I'm not getting hung up about it.

The only major cock-up was the hops. I could have sworn I ordered 200g of Brambling Cross but only 100g turned up, I checked the order and it was my mistake. So I dug out 100g of Cascade from the freezer, not ideal but the mash was in progress when I realised. Note to self, make sure you have all the hops too before you start brewing.

The mash did not stick, dropping the oatmeal onto the other mash worked a treat, I did add some rice hulls to the oatmeal which should have helped.

At one point the HERMS recirc did stop and I thought it was a stuck mash, it turned out to be one of the solar pumps is on its way out. I swapped the hoses to another pump and off it went again. The errant pump was ok pumping sparge water but didn't like sucking the wort from the mash. Later just as I had finished pumping the wort through the plate cooler it stopped altogether so I shall have to get another, it is the only component I didn't have a spare for as I need two pumps when sparging, but I could always use other methods to sparge so never bothered to get one, I will now.

Thanks for the help, I shall let you know how it turns out. Sorry there's no pictures but I had a couple of friends around who wanted to brew so I was answering 200 questions a minute :)

There was one other cock-up, I flooded the brewery when filling up the HLT to heat up cleaning water. I attached the hose to fill it up, got sidetracked, went to finish off a bit of welding and came back to water flooding out of the brewery door. No harm done apart from feeling a bit of a pillock! :oops:

Cheers
Andy
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Tue Sep 12, 2017 21:18

ummmmmmmmmm EOS with cascade :hmm: :hmm:

graysalchemy

Postby Northern Brewer » Fri Sep 15, 2017 16:50

graysalchemy wrote:ummmmmmmmmm EOS with cascade :hmm: :hmm:

Yes, my thoughts too, but needs must when you have screwed up ordering your hops and the freezer is nearly bare!

I just checked it, it's down to 1.022 and smells and tastes OK. I've been told Windsor is a bit slower than Nottingham so I guess that's about right.

Cheers
Andy
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Sep 15, 2017 19:48

I used Windsor on one of my latest brews and it just stopped there! (1.022) I could not get it to budge. I ended up moving it onto a fresh us 05 yeast cake and it dropped to 1.006.

I don't think I will use it again.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Sat Sep 16, 2017 17:08

Interesting, just took the OG and its still 1.022.

I don't have another yeast cake to hand so thinking of getting a Nottingham starter going.
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 13:03

Adding a copious starter of Nottingham hasn't done much, there are signs of activity but very faint and the OG has only crept down slightly.

I suspect I need to aerate the wort a bit so the yeast can multiply, I have a stone and pump I use for making starters, should I give that a go?
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Sep 19, 2017 15:09

No Just give it a gentle stir . . Adding Air after alcohol is produced is bad!

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Sep 19, 2017 19:52

As Aleman said just a stir to rouse the yeast and leave it to do its thing. It should get there...but it might take a little while!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Tue Sep 19, 2017 20:46

Cheers guys

I've given it a gentle stir, I haven't dug into the bottom of the conical just waved a spoon around in the top half for a minute.

I checked the OG, still about the same, it may have gone down to 1.021 but that may be wishful thinking :)

I shall leave it a couple of days and see what happens....

In my 40 years of brewing, this is the first beer that has stuck, I've had a few wines but never beer. I shall be steering away from Windsor in future me thinks!

Cheers
Andy
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 18:18

I think it's moving a little, there are signs of fermentation and it may be 1.020 now, I'm going away for the weekend walking so will see how it fairs on Monday, it should be obvious if it has moved by then.
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:08

Just checked it, now 1.015, I'll leave it a few more days.
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 08:05

If you haven't already, raise the temp a little to help it finish. I've put mine in the bath with 22C water in the past (coincidentally, that was an oatmeal stout too).

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby john luc » Sun Oct 01, 2017 23:07

Looking at your recipe now would you change anything. I am looking at doing an Oatmeal stout and am scouring recipes at the moment. :hmm:
john luc
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sun Oct 01, 2017 23:36

No, I like this iteration ... got to do it again soon

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Mon Oct 02, 2017 01:08

It was 1.012 day before yesterday, bottling this morning come what may, I missed the last few posts including HTH1975 post about upping the temp as we had a bereavement in the family. I had the temp set at 19c for the last few days, I turned off the thermostat and heater on Saturday evening so should be about 14c now as the brewery is in a partially underground room.
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Postby Northern Brewer » Sat Nov 11, 2017 01:31

I've been tucking into this for a couple of weeks now, absolutely gorgeous :)
Northern Brewer
Brewer

Previous