AG#5 - Back to basics "Chim-beer" - 27/8/12

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

AG#5 - Back to basics "Chim-beer" - 27/8/12

Postby cononthebarber » Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:25

So I stole Muddydisco's idea of making beer on my chimnea and here are the results...

Started heating the water last night at about 10pm...not really thinking about the time it will take...seemed like a great idea at the time...I think beer was involved!

Mash water still heating...

The mash water is heated and the grains are in...I'd like to point out that I DID NOT use the hob at this point (even though it looks like I did)...

"Mash tun" heated and ready to go...

Mash is on...a little bit warmer than I wanted but ho hum!!!

Sparging with my colander...

I found using the back of a wooden spoon an effective method for not disturbing the grain bed :thumb:

Ok my wort is ready for the boil...it looks like mud!! Yum!!!

First hops are in...(didn't measure it, just stuck a handful of first gold in!)

The boil has begun!

I like this picture...

Talk about calling the pot black!!!

Boiling away...it took an absolute age to get to boiling point and I ended up running out of chopped wood! So rather than really piss off my neighbours at 1am chopping firewood I decided to finish the boil on the hob...I'm dissapointed with myself really as I didnt plan ahead properly... :cry:

I also ended up using the muslin cloth (sorry MD!!!) for straining the hops as the colander just didnt work... :(

Anyone for some soup?

The finished article...only ended up with about 2 litres or so...however it was a lot of fun and I am very interested to see how this turns out...

Getting ready for The Homebrew Festval 2017 - Click HERE for more info :thumb:
cononthebarber
Brewer