Imperial Saison

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Imperial Saison

Postby phettebs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 17:04

I'm brewing another big beer for this year's Firkin Fest beer festival in July. I have a normal gravity Saison in the FV that is more than ready to rack. Today, I'm brewing an imperial saison with spelt and I'll pitch onto the yeast cake from the last saison. Well, part of the yeast cake anyway. This is a Belgian farmhouse style ale so I've just kind of thrown the recipe together to clean up some grains I have and keep true to the farmhouse tradition of brewing with what's on hand.

I'm shooting for an OG of around 1.080 but having never used spelt before, I'm not sure how well it will convert. All part of the fun!

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Re: Imperial Saison

Postby GrahamT » Sun Apr 06, 2014 17:53

Sounds great. I'm lucky if I get one brew day per month at the moment, so dovetailing separate brews and using the yeast cake is a distant dream. It would be a very satisfying way of doing things. :roll:

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby phettebs » Sun Apr 06, 2014 18:04

It doesn't always work out that way but I did try to plan for this one in advance. I have only been about 1 per month too. I have nothing to go in the kegerator at the mo. :(

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Postby phettebs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 00:07

I had 2 bubbles per second in the airlock within hours. I guess that's what you get pitching onto a fresh yeast cake!

It's holding fairly steady at 20C.

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:32

That sounds healthy. Would love to see some shots of your work!

This may be daft question, but I assume you rouse the cake after you've dumped the wort onto it?

GrahamT
Brewer

Postby EvansTheSteam » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:35

I'm not so sure that he doesn't make a starter with it.

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby phettebs » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:08

I racked the lower gravity saison off of the yeast cake and then scooped up about half of it so as not to over pitch. I really have no idea how much yeast I'm truly pitching by this method so it's a guess. I then racked the new wort onto the remaining yeast cake in the FV (I could have used what I scooped up but I didn't have a free FV) and then vigorously stirred it up and aerated with pure O2.

In my readings of Belgian beers and brewing, it's often said that they tend to under pitch a bit because the added stress helps produce the interesting esters and flavours common in Belgian beers. I have no idea if this is true or not. My fear of over pitching is that it will produce a beer that is uninspiring and blah. I will certainly post back after my first tasting!

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Tue Apr 08, 2014 13:16

:thumb:

GrahamT
Brewer