Guinea Muddler - and the new brewshed

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Guinea Muddler - and the new brewshed

Postby BigYin » Sat Nov 18, 2017 13:21

Since moving house back in April I've not been able to brew - the shed that came with the new house was FULL of old stuff and a billion large spiders....

Over the summer I've been able to gradually get the shed into a reasonable state so that I could start to fit it out to be my new brewshed.

I still had loads to do, but I also had annual leave to use up before year-end, so I took 2 days off and set to.

I'll not bore you with the list of jobs, but I'm particularly happy with the steel framed shelf I welded up to support the big 50 Litre HLT

IMAG2632_edit.jpg
IMAG2632_edit.jpg (75.27 KiB) Viewed 935 times

I sorted all the wiring in the shed a while back, but the last thing needed was an extractor fan - although I then rejigged the layout a bit and the fan position isn't perfect. Oh well.

IMAG2635_edit.jpg
IMAG2635_edit.jpg (57.88 KiB) Viewed 935 times

With the final bits sorted and everything cleaned up, that was a day and half gone, so the last half day was used to brew :D

And there we have 42 litres of lovely stout in the fermenter

IMAG2650_edit.jpg
IMAG2650_edit.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 935 times

IMAG2653_edit.jpg
IMAG2653_edit.jpg (39.77 KiB) Viewed 935 times

The ferment is being controlled by a brewpi (self build of course) and this morning was rather busy sorting out the device configuration which I had thought was sorted, but the heater wasn't switching on... however we seem to be sorted now.... fingers crossed!
BigYin
Brewer

Re: Guinea Muddler - and the new brewshed

Postby LeithR » Sat Nov 18, 2017 16:54

Lovely job, always good to see an old facility come back into use - well done BY!

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Nov 18, 2017 21:19

Looks good. I'm very jealous of your brewshed. It looks great!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Sun Nov 19, 2017 07:45

Looks amazeing I must get my shed stuff together I brew in the kitchen and it gets pretty humid, smells great as far as Im concerned but others dont always agree.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:24

Thanks Gents :cheers:

When I started brewing I used the utility room since it was handy, and right at the back door. I did however have to clean the walls every time with all the condensation running down them....

When I moved out of there I tried brewing in the kitchen of the new house, but too much condensation- not happy with it.

I then converted the shed into a brewshed and was much happier with that arrangement as I could easily fit extractor fan(s) and no longer needed to worry so much about condensation :D

Having a brewshed IS a luxury though - it really only has the one function - but it means being able to leave the brewing kit in place, so starting a brew is that much quicker :D

This new brewshed is that little bit bigger than my last one - and that means I have space for a little freezer so store my hops, and a tall fridge that is my fermenting 'box', heating and cooling controlled by the brew-pi, and I even have space to store all my grain, empty bottles etc 8-) It's brilliant!

Mind you, the wife does moan that I've taken over the shed.... and the garage (motorbikes, work bench, oh, and fridge for beer, and a converted freezer that is now a cornie cooler) - she may have a point :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited by BigYin on Tue Nov 21, 2017 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
BigYin
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 19:32

Looks a fine set up there BY, not jealous one bit :mrgreen: .
I need to sort my brewing area out which is in my garage I keep saying I'm going to do it but something always get in the way. :hat:

Next Brew AG. 63
Monte Cristo
Brewer