[BIAB] AG#21 Hibiscus Wit

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

[BIAB] AG#21 Hibiscus Wit

Postby MPLMPL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:22

Brewed a Wit a couple of weeks ago. 50% Dingemans Pale, 33.3% Wheat malt, 16.7% Flaked Wheat. Saaz at 60 mins to 18 IBU, coriander seeds (toasted) and curacao orange peel at 10 mins. Fermented with MJ21 Belgian Wit.
Turned out to be a decent wit. The twist? On bottling I held back ~ 6L and added 100g of dried hibiscus flowers that had been 'brewed' in about 300-400 ml of boiling water, in a cafetiere.
The result is a very refreshing tart/sour wit with a lurid colour. Definitely worth a punt. I will probably try something similar in my next saison or Berliner Weisse, may try adding the dry flowers a week before bottling.

Last edited by MPLMPL on Sat Jul 01, 2017 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
MPLMPL
Brewer

Re: [BIAB] AG#21 Hibiscus Wit

Postby f00b4r » Fri Jun 30, 2017 18:51

Might have to try this with a rye wit I am brewing soon. Did you just carefully mix and immediately bottle? How long did you step the flowers for?
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Fri Jun 30, 2017 22:20

f00b4r wrote:Might have to try this with a rye wit I am brewing soon. Did you just carefully mix and immediately bottle? How long did you step the flowers for?

The intention was to syphon some off after a week of fermentation, then add either dry flowers or a hot water extract, and leave for another week. Life got in the way.
I batch primed the whole lot and started bottling the plain wit, then stopped bottling with about 6 litres to go. I had previously boiled the kettle and poured over the flowers and left to steep and cool whilst I got on with washing bottles etc., so it was probably an hour before I plunged and the hibiscus tea got added. I then carefully poured into the bottling bucket and gently mixed using the racking cane.
On mixing it caused some instant coagulation, either of the suspened yeast or protein, so I think it would be better to do this as I had originally planned, or dry flowered. Having said that, it appears to have been a success and is an easy and quick way of diversifying a batch. It's something I've done before with a batch of stout, where I added coffee to the final few litres.
The hibiscus flowers were unexpectedly cheap, I ordered from justingredients on Amazon. Listed as 250g (3 packs) for 7 or 8 quid. I expected 250g split into 3 packs, but it was actually 3 x 250g i.e. 750g. I have a lot left...

Last edited by MPLMPL on Sat Jul 01, 2017 18:41, edited 1 time in total.
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby jkp » Sat Jul 01, 2017 03:20

Wow, that looks pretty good!

On the tart/sourness. Is it aggressively so, or more subtle?
jkp
Brewer

Postby MPLMPL » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:00

jkp wrote:Wow, that looks pretty good!

On the tart/sourness. Is it aggressively so, or more subtle?

Hard to say. I have an anti-sweet tooth and really like sour tastes. I usually just dump some hibiscus flowers in a cup and pour on boiling water when making hibiscus tea to drink. When I made one a few days before bottling thus, I decided to weigh out the leaves and measure how much water that I added. It worked out at about 4g in a mug that held about 250ml. I then decided to go with this dosing for the beer, i.e. about 16g per litre. If you're wary of the sourness, then I would suggest trying it out at different doses on mugs of hibiscus tea.
I tried searching for how much hibiscus to add, but didn't find too much info. Some really low doses such as 25-50g in 20 litres on some discussion boards, but this felt too subtle for my tastes.
To summarise: it's got a nice sour kick, but for me, not enough to make me suck in my cheeks and make my left eyelid flutter...
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Sat Jul 01, 2017 13:55

Great info. There is also a recipe in the second Brooklyn Brew Shop book that uses hibiscus, it is a variation for their Belgian blonde :

For a delightfully floral nose and bright fruit flavor, add 50 grams dried hibiscus flowers 3 minutes before the end of the boil (19L batch).

Very tempted to try both ways with a 4.5L demijohn for each method.
f00b4r
Brewer