Messed up a bit - advice on what to do next...

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Messed up a bit - advice on what to do next...

Postby blinky » Wed Jun 14, 2017 22:59

Not a major catastrophe but i decided to make a hoppy small batch brew tonight - had 100g of Cascade floating about so used that up. Anyway, first off my brew fridge heater is on the blink so ordered a new one, will pick up tomorrow, brew is not fermenting in the utility room inside a cardboard box to keep the light off it! ANyway, my problem is that I made 11l of beer, poured it all into a glass fermenter then half an hour later realised that 3l of it is trub! So I in effect only have 7l.... I was wondering whether to try and pour the fermenting beer through my BIAB bag into another vessel tomorrow night to filter out what I can, but do I then risk filtering out the yeast as well? Should I just leave it alone and try and deal with it when it comes to bottling time, but then how do I filter it? I was thinking sooner rather than later is better as any oxygen introduced by the filtering will be consumed by the yeast, but do I risk filtering out the yeast?

Help!
blinky
Brewer

Re: Messed up a bit - advice on what to do next...

Postby Rolfster » Thu Jun 15, 2017 07:36

You will not filter out the yeast. Don't worry.

Would it not be better to syphon it off the top?
I have fermented wort on trub before with no ill effects.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Thu Jun 15, 2017 13:15

It'll settle, and assuming you haven't got a perfect cold break you'll probably only lose a litre or two when it compacts
robwalker
Brewer

Postby blinky » Thu Jun 15, 2017 17:26

Cheers guys, will leave it well alone then!
blinky
Brewer