Rye Saison - WLP585 Saison III

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Rye Saison - WLP585 Saison III

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 14:08

It's 23c in my kitchen again.. which means it continues to be Saison season!

After my Spelt Saison - http://www.forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11645 - last week with TYB Saison Brett I still had some odds and ends to use up. I had some precrushed and mixed grain for a Rye Table beer I hadn't made yet. Given the temperature I won't be able to make that until I've got another fridge going, so I decided to use up the odds and ends. The Golden Promise and Rye were mixed in together already and I topped it up with lager malt.

A quick trip to the Brewstore in Edinburgh and I picked up a pack of WLP585 Saison III. It's only available around this time of year, so thought why not.. I'm not sure of the source, but it sounds like a nice strain:-

“Produces beer with a high fruit ester characteristic, as well as some slight tartness. Finishes slightly malty, which balances out the esters. Also produces low levels of clovey phenolics. Great yeast choice for a summer Saison that is light and easy-drinking.”

As ever I seem to do things backwards. My first saison was sour and brett'd, then they've gotten less sour as I brew more. Last weeks was just brewers yeast + brett and now this week we're down to just brewers yeast. I'm largely making this because I want something I can bottle and drink relatively soon.

I'm not entirely sure how this will come out. I decided to experiment with a few more spices, a literal pinch of caraway, black peppercorns and some juniper berries at flameout :pray: I've hopped it pretty heavily, but with mainly noble varieties.. still ~100g in ~15L. Aiming for a decent bitterness with this one, something I've gone easy on when there is Lactobacillus involved as the sourness helps provide balance

12 litres brewed as below and 4 litres into a demijohn with last weeks Saison/Brett yeast blend. Two beers for the price of one.

Rye Saison - WLP585 (Saison)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.046 (°P): 11.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.004 (°P): 1.0
Alcohol (ABV): 5.44 %
Colour (SRM): 4.5 (EBC): 8.9
Bitterness (IBU): 40.8 (Average)

42.4% Lager Malt
31% Rye Malt
21% Golden Promise Malt
5.6% Cane Sugar

1 g/L Summit (13.2% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Bobek (3.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bobek (3.3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Hersbrucker (2% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Saaz (3% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Bobek (3.3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
0.7 g/L Hersbrucker (2% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1.3 g/L Saaz (3% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 23°C with WLP585 - Belgian Saison III

Notes: Pinch caraway, black peppercorns and 1 tsp juniper berries at flameout

Recipe Generated with BrewMate
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Rye Saison - WLP585 Saison III

Postby serum » Tue Jun 06, 2017 07:28

Sounds like a winner. I tried caraway in a Rye saison but buggered it up and it got infected. Interested to hear how it comes out.
serum
Brewer

Re: Rye Saison - WLP585 Saison III

Postby rlemkin » Tue Aug 29, 2017 23:32

I bottled this last night. Quite a heavy malt character and bitterness, but I like it. More of what I'd think of as typical Belgian yeast character than the TYB Saison/Brett blend. A hint of Dupont, but definitely not the same yeast.
rlemkin
Brewer