(BIAB) Munich Helles

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

(BIAB) Munich Helles

Postby crispylettuce » Sun May 28, 2017 12:11

My first brewday in a while. I'm attempting a Munich Helles beer.

Targets
Batch Size: 14l into fermenter
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.010
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 17.4
EBC: 7.2

Schedule
Mash 60min @ 66C
Boil for 90min

Mash Ingredients
Amt Name %
2.726 kg Pilsner (Weyermann) (3.0 EBC) 87.0 %
0.376 kg Munich I (Weyermann) (15.0 EBC) 12.0 %
0.031 kg Melanoidin (Weyermann) (70.0 EBC) 1.0 %

Hops
Amt Name IBU
27.0 g Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [4.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 17.4 IBU

Yeast
Saflager w34/70

crispylettuce
Brewer

Re: (BIAB) Munich Helles

Postby crispylettuce » Tue May 30, 2017 19:01

So brewday...

Mash went well - more or less.

Nice dough in, with no doughballs

Temp held really well with my foil cover and hot water jacket
IMG]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q361/chrislettis/IMG_20170528_090619766_zpslqtyvmao.jpg[/IMG]

Unfortunately this is where things went wrong - or at least were discovered. Took a pre-boil gravity ready, and was a long way off for some reason. Um'ed and Ah'ed as to what had gone wrong and how to resolve it - and in the end decided just to carry on and it will be what it will be, so got the boil going. My crude extraction worked well

Completed the boil (gravity still really low), but transferred to fermenter, rehydrated the yeast (first time I had done this) and pitched into the wort.

I have since discovered the root cause of my troubles. I had used an incorrect equipment profile in Beersmith, and as a result didn't have the correct batch & efficiency numbers plugged in when I scaled the recipe. Rookie error.

Its bubbling away in the beer fridge, so hopefully will be drinkable when its bottled!

As an aside, when you take a sample for a gravity reading do you draw some out the tap or get some from the top of the pot? will the amount of debris in it matter?
Finally, for BIABers - how long do you let the bag drain ? or do you just squeeze the crap out of it over a sieve like me?

Crispy.
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue May 30, 2017 20:37

I drain it out of the tap. This should help sanitise it.... I think!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Wed May 31, 2017 21:35

Well it's bubbling away well in the fridge. Slight sulphur smell, but I'm sure I read that somewhere about Saflager 34/70

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Wed Jun 07, 2017 07:41

crispylettuce wrote:As an aside, when you take a sample for a gravity reading do you draw some out the tap or get some from the top of the pot? will the amount of debris in it matter?
Finally, for BIABers - how long do you let the bag drain ? or do you just squeeze the crap out of it over a sieve like me?

Crispy.

I have used a turkey baster, sanitised in starsan when using a hydrometer. Now I've got a refractometer from aliexpress for about £25? I only need a drop to test the wort/beer.

When I lift my bag I do it in a couple of stages, first I lift it until it's just about sitting on the top of the wort to start draining. Gently lift as most the liquid comes out, then hang on a hook over the top of my BIAB gear whilst I bring to the boil to drain. As the wort gets to boil I give it a good squeeze to get as much out as possible and give the spent grain to the chickens.
tim_n
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Fri Jul 14, 2017 07:05

Well this beer hasn't turned out the next - mainly because it's hardly got any carbonation!

I primed in my bottling bucket as usual - calculated via beersmith.

Presumably the yeast has died of while at low temp?! Do people add more yeast when bottling? Or just lots more yeast at the start and hope it survives!?

crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 08:09

I never used to, but after my Rye beer had carbonation issues, I've started adding 1-2g dry yeast per 25L in the bottling bucket. I use the Saf one that's geared towards this type of application as it forms a nice tight yeast layer at the bottom of the bottle.
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Jul 14, 2017 19:16

crispylettuce wrote:Well this beer hasn't turned out the next - mainly because it's hardly got any carbonation!

I primed in my bottling bucket as usual - calculated via beersmith.

Presumably the yeast has died of while at low temp?! Do people add more yeast when bottling? Or just lots more yeast at the start and hope it survives!?

I'd give the bottles a good shake and leave them a couple more weeks somewhere warm.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 09:05

crispylettuce wrote:I have since discovered the root cause of my troubles. I had used an incorrect equipment profile in Beersmith, and as a result didn't have the correct batch & efficiency numbers plugged in when I scaled the recipe. Rookie error.

Hi Crispy,
After you got to the bottom of the problem, is the recipe you published correct for 14L as mentioned please?
LeithR
Brewer