Spelt Saison - Saison Brett/Sour

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Spelt Saison - Saison Brett/Sour

Postby rlemkin » Sat May 20, 2017 15:00

A quick 16L brew day underway today. Loosely modelled off of Blaugies' Saison D’Epeautre which has roughly 50% spelt in the mash, but a little lighter at a likely ~4.5-4.7%. I'm hoping for an interesting sessionable saison that's good fresh, but will also improve with age.

I'll be dividing the wort between a couple of yeast stains, the first is The Yeast Bays Saison/Brettanomyces Blend:-

This blend combines one of the Saccharomyces strains from the Saison Blend and two unique Brettanomyces isolates from our yeast library. The Saccharomyces yeast strain is a strong attenuator that produces a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer. The Brettanomyces strains are both good attenuators that produce some fruity esters and mild funk, and add a bright character to the beer. The combination of these yeast produces a dry but balanced character with a delightful ester profile and just the right amount of funk.

The second is my 'house' strain ( a mish mash of Orval Brett B. TYB Farmhouse Sour and Fantome). The bugs in here will happily lightly acidify wort up to about 30IBU. So I'll fill a couple demijohns with each and I'll likely experiment with blending between the two batches later on. Truth me told I've left this brew a little late. It should be tasty young, but the brett really gets going after about ~6 months.

Hops will vary depending on what is in the freezer.. I've not checked yet.

New Spelt v2 (Saison)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.038 (°P): 9.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.004 (°P): 1.0
Alcohol (ABV): 4.48 %
Colour (SRM): 3.3 (EBC): 6.5
Bitterness (IBU): 31.6 (Average)

50% Lager Malt
33.33% Spelt
16.67% Wheat Malt

0.5 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
2 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
3 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

0.6 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (First Wort)
1.2 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.9 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
1.2 g/L Saaz (3.6% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 24°C with TYB Saison/Brett and House Blend.

Notes: 5/20/2017 2:12:35 PM : mash 64/65

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Last edited by rlemkin on Sat May 20, 2017 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Spelt Saison - Saison Brett/Sour

Postby MPLMPL » Sat May 20, 2017 15:41

Sounds interesting. What does spelt bring to the party? Is it a bit like rye?

The troubles of our proud and angry dust
Are from eternity, and shall not fail.
Bear them we can, and if we can we must.
Shoulder the sky, my lad, and drink your ale.
A. E. Housman
MPLMPL
Brewer

Postby serum » Tue May 23, 2017 08:26

It's like wheat but a bit more nutty.

I'll probably do a similar brew again this year. Have you had the Blaugies one rlemkin? Really bone dry! The Vermontoise version with Amarillo dry hop is really good too.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Jun 03, 2017 16:42

I defer to Serum above when it comes to spelt.. I don't truly know.

Early impressions of this beer (TYB Saison/Brett) are really really good and pretty match the TYB description of the strain. It's slightly orange and the esters are just very nice. My earlier saisons have been relatively lacking in yeast character and more hoppy or sour.

(I believe the sacch strains are available without the brettanomyces as The Yeast Bay Saison Blend and I would encourage you to try them if you don't want to play with brett - if there wasn't brett in this beer I'd be bottling it now and drinking it tomorrow ;) )

My house jar strain has a much drier and spicier profile. I think there are more phenols in there and the yeast was probably quite stressed out. I'll probably dry hop this half and bottle it soon .

Serum - I've not tried Blaugies, but I'm off to Belgium in a few weeks, so fingers crossed! I've got a bottle of the Vermontoise and shall drink it soon. I've heard good things about the yeast and have been trying to find it with little luck.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby serum » Sat Jun 03, 2017 21:30

I thought there was meant to be a strain for sale by one producer but can't remember which it is. French saison is close. It's really dry and really fizzy.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
serum
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52

Hey Serum. I actually got to try Blaugies in Amsterdam and meet the owner very briefly too. It was great!

---
I had some fun blending and bottling saison last night. It was interesting to see the effects of different saison yeast and bacteria on the same grist and how blending even between two beers can be useful. as I said above half was fermented out with The Yeast Bay’s Saison/Brett blend and the other half on my dodgy *9 month old* fridge yeast or "house culture".. if we’re being charitable. This is was originally The Yeast Bay’s Farmhouse Sour and built up Fantome dregs with a couple bottles worth of Orval that went through a few generations and the LAB is quickly built acid tolerance. Later on I added the remains from a few bottles with pleasant brett character (Crooked Stave Vielle, Jester King and Kernel’s Biere de Saison).

The base beer is very pleasant and quite happily at this stage tastes like a lighter Saison D’Epeautre (the Saison/Brett portion in particular accentuates the malt and bitterness). The second portion is pretty fantastic right now. Slightly tart, hints of pineapple with bitter citrus – light grapefruit, but primarily derived from the yeast as it’s not present at all in the Saison/Brett portion.

I blended in approximately 5% of a 1.040 Rye Saison (65% Pale/ 30% Rye/ 5% Dextrose w/WLP585) into the ‘house’ portion to bring a tad more bitterness to round out the profile. The TYB Saison/Brett half is much more of a traditional Saison portion, so I blended in approximately 20% of the Rye Saison to introduce some more phenolics and spicy character.

Both are now bottled into heavy geuze bottles to 3 vol Co2, although I’m expecting a tiny bit more attenuation as the beers are only about 7 ½ weeks old.

This has definitely made me more willing to play around with and cultivate dregs :)

Last edited by rlemkin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 22:21, edited 1 time in total.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby serum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:31

Really? Where was that?

Don't tell me it was this weekend as I was in Amsterdam on Saturday night!
serum
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Jul 18, 2017 20:25

It wasn't.. but was back near the end of June for the Carnivale Brettanomyces. He was on a panel with Phil Markowski (author of Farmhouse Ales), Crooked Stave Brewer/owner and Sean Hill of Hill Farmstead talking about Saison. Got a wee glass of each of their beers at the event and then went out and had a 75cl bottle with my lunch :whistle: . What are holidays for?

It also turns out that there's brett in most of Blaugies beer, which I wasn't aware of before.

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby serum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:31

I've wondered about that. I've had some that seemed pretty clean but the only one that's been really funky tasting is old bottles of Darbyste.
serum
Brewer