Simple Tripel

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Simple Tripel

Postby rlemkin » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:33

After brewing a Dubbel last week I've got a bit of Belgian vibe going on. Had a lovely bottle of St Bernardus 12 again last night and thought I should brew something. I've been toying with the idea of a very simple tripel and decided to go with that. Should be a good test for the Mangrove Jack Tripel yeast, although I'll be fermenting at the low end of the temperature range (20c. Range:18-28c)

I didn't buy or make candi syrup/sugar. Others seem to think there's no point for the lightest varieties

Unexpectedly good efficiency bumped the OG up to around 1.080 which brought it right in line to a couple of Westmalle Tripel clones out there at an expected 9.5%. Although I deviated when it came to the hop schedule, and put quite a lot in.. I think this is going to have to be laid down for a while before it will be pleasant. 3-6 months I guess? Probably closer to six..

I do worry that I didn't get enough oxygen in this for the sheer amount of fermentables, but with a gallon demi there's not much more I can do.

Tucked away at 10pm last night and going like a rocket by 8am this morning.

D(r)aft Tripel (Belgian Tripel)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.080 (°P): 19.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.008 (°P): 2.1
Alcohol (ABV): 9.44 %
Colour (SRM): 3.7 (EBC): 7.3
Bitterness (IBU): 30.9 (Tinseth)

84.21% Lager Malt
15.79% Cane Sugar

1.8 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
1.1 g/L Dana (6.4% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 20°C with Mangrove Jack's Tripel

Last edited by rlemkin on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:57, edited 1 time in total.
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Simple Tripel

Postby tommidolcetto » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:57

Have seen/read/heard somewhere that dry yeast doesn't need oxygenating as much as liquid.

Dana? Didn't she win Eurovision?
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby serum » Sun Oct 09, 2016 15:46

That recipe ought to work fine. I went to St bernardus and they had big old sacks of dextrose sat around so I reckon their Tripel is just pilsner and dextrose rather than invert sugar syrup. Theirs is one of my favourite Tripels.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 16:53

Six months on..

I accidentally infected this with brett (along with my Dubbel :doh: ) when I used the wrong siphon months ago. I bottled it today. Hydrometer says that it went down to 0.996. All in all it's up near 12% once priming sugar is included.

The base beer itself is very pleasant, good esters from the yeast and I would definitely use it again.

As for this beer? Well it's coming together.. slowly. There was a fair bit of alcoholic heat and a hint of acetone a few months back, but this seems to have faded. The extremely low FG increases the perceived bitterness, so I'm thinking I'll come back to it in another six months or so.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sun Jun 04, 2017 16:29

Buckets of brett on the nose. Fudge me this is quite alcoholic Nudging past 11.5%. I'm torn between thinking this is to style and quite pleasant or simply rocket fuel. There's a slightly phenolic edge, but every now and then I get a hint of acetone and that's nae nice.
rlemkin
Brewer