AG28 3 beers in a day.

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

AG28 3 beers in a day.

Postby Rolfster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 18:14

So I'm brewing tomorrow!
Whooooo hooooo.

I'm doing a base wort that I'm going to split into 3 fermenters and do different things with.
Fv 1 will be an earl grey ipa
Fv 2 will be an Apa hoppy thing
Fv 3 will be an esb type thing.

I'm not too hung up on straying outside they style!

So far I've got my grain sorted.
15kg Maris otter
800g cara gold
200g light crystal

And 55 liters of water in the htl. SWMBO has strict instructions at what time to turn it on so its just about up to temperature when I get home from work!

I will update the recipes later..... when I've figured out which hops I've got to play with!
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: AG28 3 beers in a day.

Postby pittsy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 21:13

Good luck with it , you intending to take a few pictures ? 100 litre pots is it :D
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Kman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 23:46

I've tried a pale brewed with tea at a beer fest, the tea makes a nice contribution, got to be a good quality tea, I'd recommend lady Hebden by hebden tea (very aromatic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kman
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:14

pittsy wrote:Good luck with it , you intending to take a few pictures ? 100 litre pots is it :D

Yep. I normally do 2 different beers.
As I have the house to myself until school pick up I'm going for 3.

Kman wrote:I've tried a pale brewed with tea at a beer fest, the tea makes a nice contribution, got to be a good quality tea, I'd recommend lady Hebden by hebden tea (very aromatic)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the tea from my local fancy tea shop!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby rui » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:33

Good luck with that!!!
rui
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:11

Great stuff, good luck!! What hops are you using in your apa?
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:26

I'm doing one lot of wort. Bittering with hurkules first wort. And the late additions of amarillo, nelson sauvin and possible Centennial.

Then for yhe apa its all in the dry hopping! I have some falconers flight pellets and nelson sauvin pellets. And the above mentioned.... and some chinook. So I'm not sure yet!

The bitter is having dark crystal and rye crystal mini mashed and then fermented with the new esb yeast for a few days and the us05 the help finish it.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:46

I've also cold steeped 20g of earl gret tea in a pint of water over night. I was going to do more but it smelt so potent. I'm going to dry hop with tea as well.... if it needs it!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 14:47

I've got some wort into fvs! Dark part is in the white fv. Earl grey is in the red strip fv snd apa is in the cross fv. The cross marks the hops........ this is just for my own nites! Unless you break into my house if course!!!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:28

pittsy wrote:Good luck with it , you intending to take a few pictures ? 100 litre pots is it :D

So I've taken some pictures but Photobucket is not playing nice and I can't log on!

This brew day was a real stress! Trying to fit it in between school drop off and pick up, and not having stuff everywhere once the boys got home!
And that was with an overnight mash!
That's why this topic is a shambles!
I will add to it when I get a chance!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 09:40

OK so the final recipe was....

The main body of the wort was 15kgs of Maris otter. 800g of caragold and 200g light crystal. Mashed over night with 55 liters of water. Mash temp when I went to bed was 66.6 degrees.

I bittered with herkukes hops to 37 ibu.
Amerillo (15g), centennial (16g) and nelson sauvin (29g) went in with 2 minutes left of the boil.
It finished 1.050

This was split between 3 fvs.
The earl grey portion got 500ml of cold steeped earl grey tea (20g steeped over night). This was fermented at 19 with us05.

The APA portion was left as is and had the same fermentation.

The dark portion had a mini mash added to the fv of 50g light crystal, 180g rye crystal and 100g dark crystal. This was done by adding the grain to cold water and slowly being brought up to 90 degrees on the hob with regular stiring. It was then strained into the fv and topped up with the main wort. This was then fermented with London esb yeast at 20 degrees for 3 days before having some us05 added to help finish fermentation.

The boiler still had a good amount of wort left in it (10 liters I think?), so I put the rest into a chapel wood container (I shold just buy a couple more fvs!) And fermented cold ( 12/13 degrees) to see what it comes out like!

Thing that went wrong.....
When I checked my hlt temp for sparging it smelt like a swimming pool. To get rid of the chloride I added a crushed campden and gave it a good stir. I left it as long as I could. It was about 40 minutes between adding it and moving the water into the mash tun. Anyone know if that will have any adverse effects?

And then I broke my hydrometer.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 19:14

So I tested these today.
The earl grey ipa tastes quite nice andsubtle and was down to 1.009. I added 11g of nelson sauvin and 20g of falconers flight pellets and 36g of lose leaf tea to the fermenter. I will taste it on Wednesday and see how it's shaping up. I hope to bottle it on Friday at the latest.
The APA was also down to 1.009. And tasted nice but a bit dull. So that got the rest of the falconers flight added. Again I'm hoping to bottle it on Friday.
The darker portion was at 1.020. Bloody esb yeast! And that is with US05 added after 3 days of fermentation. So that's just had a stir and I've turned up the heat. I might dry hop with a little EKG once it's dropped a couple of points. I'm tempted to bottle this without priming as last time I used this yeast bottling seemed to kick fermentation off again and I got really fizzy beer.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Mar 31, 2017 19:55

I have bottled the APA and the IPA parts of this today. I got 46 bottles of each. Which was nice!
The Darker portion seems to be doing its thing slowly.... I hope. The only indication was a burble a few times while I was messing about in the cellar getting my bottles sorted.

The chaplewood container that has been fermented cold seems to have picked up an infection, which is not so nice!
I'm going to buy a couple more fvs before my next brewday!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 19:54

Having tested the ESB tonight it's down to 1.010. So I'm going to dry hop it. I've got 24g of EKG (at 5% alpha) and 16g savinjski golding (at 4.4% alpha) going in.I'm hoping to get this bottled Thursday or Friday.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Apr 21, 2017 09:22

So after a weekend of throughly testing these beers they are really quite nice!
The earl grey ipa which I was most excited about it nice. It's settling in nicely. Next time I think just a dry hop with tea will do it.
The APA is fantastic! I will be using falconers flight again.
The ESB is a bit behind the others but is shaping up nicely! It means I will have something to drink when the other 2 have gone!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:48

Glad to hear they turned out well. You're tempting me to make another Earl Grey beer now.. Cloudwater did a Bergamot Sour recently..
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 15:00

Interesting to hear your experience with ESB yeast. I used the Wyeast version of that on my current IPA batch and it went off fast and fermented down to 1.010

My concerns with ESB yeast were that it's not massively attenuative and I'd be left with an overly-sweet IPA, but that's certainly not been my experience.

Must say that I prefer an English Ale yeast strain for IPAs over a clean US yeast any day. The fruity esters and lower attenuation give a more balanced beer to my palette (not keen on overly dry beers).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 15:55

HTH1975 wrote:Interesting to hear your experience with ESB yeast. I used the Wyeast version of that on my current IPA batch and it went off fast and fermented down to 1.010

My concerns with ESB yeast were that it's not massively attenuative and I'd be left with an overly-sweet IPA, but that's certainly not been my experience.

Must say that I prefer an English Ale yeast strain for IPAs over a clean US yeast any day. The fruity esters and lower attenuation give a more balanced beer to my palette (not keen on overly dry beers).

Homebrewtalk has a great thread on the Danstar dry ESB strain - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=588922. You really need to design the brew around that particular strain I think... universally low attenuaton without the use of sugar and low mash temps.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Apr 21, 2017 19:42

rlemkin wrote:Glad to hear they turned out well. You're tempting me to make another Earl Grey beer now.. Cloudwater did a Bergamot Sour recently..

It's so easy to add the earl grey. Would be great for a split batch.
HTH1975 wrote:Interesting to hear your experience with ESB yeast. I used the Wyeast version of that on my current IPA batch and it went off fast and fermented down to 1.010

The results have been good with the esb yeast, but not without its issues has I have said! I'm refining my process with it.
I get on well with us05 as I generally go for bit ish hop hits!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sun May 28, 2017 07:38

The earl grey ipa and apa have both been very good! I think among the best I've made.
The darker one is ok, and improving over time.
Rolfster
Brewer