Brew day testing equipment

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Brew day testing equipment

Postby AFewTooMany » Fri Aug 07, 2015 09:27

I've recently delved into the nightmare that is water treatment and got a alkalinity salifert kit. I'll be using it to test my untreated water on each brew day and retesting after treatment.

My question is do I need an additional testing method such as a digital ph meter for the mash/boil/fermenter? Or is this even necessary?

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Re: Brew day testing equipment

Postby mark1964 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:23

I just use the Salifert kit. Testing pH can be done in the mash to see if it's converted before sparging. If your planning on getting a pH meter get a decent one. I don't bother testing pH though

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:08

I bought a cheap pH meter just to confirm the figures and it worked out OK.
I use BruNwater for water adjustments.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:02

AFewTooMany wrote:I've recently delved into the nightmare that is water treatment and got a alkalinity salifert kit.

It doesn't have to be a nightmare as long as you apply the KISS Principle :D

AFewTooMany wrote:I'll be using it to test my untreated water on each brew day and retesting after treatment.

The first step in the KISS guide to water treatment is to measure your alkalinity. once you know that you can determine if there is any need to reduce it with acid, or increase it using sodium/potassium bicarbonate. As you are Glasgow based I will bet that you have very low levels of anything in your water, and therefore you will be adding minerals. A tsp of gypsum in the mash and one in the boil will be good for starters.

AFewTooMany wrote:My question is do I need an additional testing method such as a digital ph meter for the mash/boil/fermenter? Or is this even necessary?

Need no. What it would tell you would be that your water treatment 'helps' the mash pH fall in the right range . . . although even with no water treatment and your water the vast majority of mashes will fall in the right range anyway. It would also enable you to determine the effective treatment for your liquor for the beer styles you want to brew, if you want to put the time in doing test mashes.

mark1964 wrote:I just use the Salifert kit. Testing pH can be done in the mash to see if it's converted before sparging. If your planning on getting a pH meter get a decent one. I don't bother testing pH though

pH has absolutely nothing to do with degree of conversion, it will tell you if the pH is in an 'optimal range' for conversion but cannot measure conversion. :roll:

AltonAnt wrote:I bought a cheap pH meter just to confirm the figures and it worked out OK.

Sounds like it was a good value meter rather than a cheap one :D

AltonAnt wrote:I use BruNwater for water adjustments.

It's good to hear it works when the water has a lot of minerals in it, but it does not work for me with a significantly lower level of minerals present (but plenty of cryptosporidia), and it is even less accurate with my full volume mashes on the Braumeister. I also think the 'warnings' regarding chloride and sulphate levels are unnecessary. You can brew great beer with high levels of calcium sulphate and chloride, brewers have been doing it for years . . . and that applies to world beer styles not just those British (or even UK ) ones. . . . Unless of course you are deliberately trying to brew a beer with no flavour :twisted:

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 13:25

That's sorted that then :rofl:

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer