PH

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

PH

Postby robwalker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 18:26

First of all, thanks to Aleman for the very in depth talk on water at the festival. Very mind boggling, but very interesting nontheless!

I've ordered some gypsum, and I have two kinds of acid (lactic and citric), acid malt, and narrow range ph test strips. So that should be enough for PH correction. :lol: unfortunately the value ph meters only function up to 50c so I'll be unable to see what I actually hit.

So it's as simple as taking a ph reading, adding acid, stirring and testing again?

any simple and easy calculators just for PH?

After that, I don't yet have anything to taste Alkalinity. What should I order?

I'm not that clued up on this stuff. Reading the sticky now.

cheers!
robwalker
Brewer

Re: PH

Postby mark1964 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 21:06

ph strips rob are a waste of time. You need a salifert alkalinity testing kit for alkalinity. Have you had your water analysed yet? There's a bit more to it than just adding gypsum etc If you get an accurate water report try jims beer kits water treatment calc. That's what I use at the moment.

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby wallybrew » Sat Jul 25, 2015 21:20

robwalker wrote:After that, I don't yet have anything to taste Alkalinity. What should I order?

I assume you mean testing not tasting. This part is first and foremost the bit that you need to check and correct if necessary before doing anything else.

Get a salifert test kit for this.

robwalker wrote:I've ordered some gypsum, and I have two kinds of acid (lactic and citric), acid malt, and narrow range ph test strips. So that should be enough for PH correction. :lol: unfortunately the value ph meters only function up to 50c so I'll be unable to see what I actually hit.

Assume you are referring to the mash here. Lactic is a useable acid but citric I don't think I would use.
Where you are referring to the value pH meters and only being able to function up to 50C this is irrelevant. Mash pH should be measured on the mash when it has been cooled to room temperature. This way your pH meter will survive and the reading will be acceptable. Automatic temperature control is not guaranteed to work due to the species being measured not necessarily dissociating or increasing its activity along the same lines as the ATC.
wallybrew
Brewer

Postby rpt » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:16

Auto temperature correction on a pH meter only corrects for the effect of temperature on the probes not for the fact the actual pH of the sample changes. So you must cool the sample to 20C.

rpt
Brewer