Which Water Calculator?

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Which Water Calculator?

Postby Kloorob » Fri Jul 24, 2015 19:25

Hi,

Now I have my water profile to work with (thanks to Wallybrew) I have plugged the numbers in two popular web based calculators and the paid version of Brun Water calculators .

Though, I appreciate that I have not spent a lot of time reading the do and don't for each calculator system, but what was clear each calculator provided differing quantities of additives, even though they recommended the same such as Gypsum and Epson Salts in my case.

Therefore, I would welcome your view on which Homebrew Water Calculator do you use and the one would recommend as the most reliable?

Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Re: Which Water Calculator?

Postby Aleman » Fri Jul 24, 2015 19:35

Unfortunately the one I would recommend is not available to the public just yet :(

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby pittsy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 19:39

I really like brun water , the paid one seems great . For me I find it spot on
pittsy
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Fri Jul 24, 2015 20:56

I use one someone gave me that isn't available to the public. Some people recommend brewersfriend too. I never really got on with Brunwater. I'm sure it works, just over complicated tbh
Goulders
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sat Jul 25, 2015 14:41

+1 for bru'n water. Read the water page fully at least once. It all makes sense very quickly. Don't be put off by all the numbers.
NickW
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 15:04

If you do use Brunwater please ignore all the silly warnings it gives you about too much sulphate or chloride and especially calcium. There is no need to be afraid of high levels of minerals it does not damage beer or make it taste nasty. We in the UK have been brewing with high levels of minerals in our water for years. We are used to having flavour in our beer ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Jul 26, 2015 17:48

Thanks for your comments, and I do like Bruwater and it also gives you a lot of useful options.

PS. Aleman: When will your recommend water calculator be available to the public?
Kloorob
Brewer