Thames Water 2015 - Any Treatment?

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Thames Water 2015 - Any Treatment?

Postby Pjam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:47

This looks to me like it needs plenty of work.

Hardness = 250 ppm as CaCO3
Alkalinity = 220 ppm as CaCO3
Sulphates = 85 ppm
Chlorides = 35 ppm

* thanks to London Amateur Brewing for the figures
Pjam
Brewer

Re: Thames Water 2015 - Any Treatment?

Postby Aleman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13

That looks like a load of bollocks to me!

more or less meaningless for brewing! . . . . Sorry

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Pjam » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:47

Aleman wrote:more or less meaningless for brewing! . . . . Sorry

Damn those London Amateurs :roll: :lol:
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:53

Sorry, Grumpy head on.

Forget hardness, at least it means you have sufficient calcium such that you do not have to supplement it :D

Alkalinity, blooming high, need to reduce it to below 100-125 for dark beers and beers with a moderate level of crystal in it.

Sulphate and Chloride, just greater than 2:1 so good for hoppy, crisp, dry beers, if you want to reverse it use more hydrochloric acid than sulphuric acid to reduce the alkalinity, otherwise use a 'balanced' amount of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids to keep the 2:1 ratio . . .

It's not suitable for treatment with AMS/CRS and DLS/DWB

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer