On the fly acid strength calculator

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

On the fly acid strength calculator

Postby NickW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 14:49

Hi all

I use bru'n water for my water treatment. And after alemans talk last weekend on water I thought I'd make a spreadsheet to help me better calculate how much acid to add, as the strengths seem off from what's on the bottle.

In my case CRS doesn't have a strength listed and is built into bru'n water as standard and cannot be changed. But I think this simple calculator should work with all acid and calculators.

I don't think there's any mistakes in it, but you never know!

Here it is.... https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BztB4 ... authuser=0
NickW
Brewer

Re: On the fly acid strength calculator

Postby cyclops » Fri Jun 19, 2015 14:51

How much choride will it add to my beer though?

Cheap Toys and Games at http://www.thetoydiscounter.com
cyclops
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Jun 19, 2015 15:25

What version of BruNWater are you using?
I have the one but last recent paid for version which requires you to input the acid strength for all acids.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Fri Jun 19, 2015 15:33

CRS will add both chloride and sulphate to the EDIT: water.

Additional chloride (mg/l) = (amount of CRS added in ml x 57.8) / volume of liqour to treat
Additional sulphate = (amount of CRS added in ml x 96) / volume of liqour to treat

So if you treat 34 litres of water, and you need to add 39.4ml of CRS, then the additional chloride and sulphate added to the water would be.

Chloride = 39.4*57.8 / 34 = 66.98mg/l
Sulphate = 39.4*96 / 34 = 111.2mg/l
Goulders
Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 15:42

This calc was for alkalinity only. Being the most important part.

My version doesn't allow a % for CRS. But does for other acids

I think it's useful as my crs is stronger and pittsy found out his 88% lactic was more like 54%!
NickW
Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 16:16

Anyway... just thought. Following my calc, you will still be adding the same amount of chloride and sulphate to the water. Because you're adjusting due to the strength. So as long as the sulphate and chloride acid ratios are the same then the CRS will still add that amount of both to the water... if that makes sense?
NickW
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:13

That is assuming the acids vary in strength by the same amount. Suppose the hydrochloric stays the same but the sulphuric is stronger

;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:16

Valid point which I glossed over aleman ;)

I'm happy enough with a little variation. I can guesstimate where the levels will be. For most beers I'm ok just adding a touch more chloride or sulphate without being anal about values.

Anyway. If noone else finds it useful, I sure do. Just checked it with my strike and sparge water (brewing currently) and both times its been spot on (+-4ppm). Happy days :)
NickW
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:37

I do use an acid strength checker . . . Unfortunately it doesn't do CRS

But then neither do I :D

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby NickW » Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:51

I will be getting seperate sulphuric etc soon. Just using up what I've got!
NickW
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Fri Jun 19, 2015 19:39

NickW wrote:I will be getting seperate sulphuric etc soon. Just using up what I've got!

I moved over to sulphuric several months back and found a definite improvement in the beers.
Dennis King

Postby Goulders » Fri Jun 19, 2015 20:52

It depends on your water profile. If you have low sulphate levels fine. But for me it would increase the sulphate too much. When I've finished my AMS, which will be ages... I intend moving to hydrochloric acid
Goulders
Brewer

Postby Raptor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 07:21

Dennis King wrote:
NickW wrote:I will be getting seperate sulphuric etc soon. Just using up what I've got!

I moved over to sulphuric several months back and found a definite improvement in the beers.

Me too. No problem with my water treatment now.
Raptor
Brewer

Postby wallybrew » Sat Jun 20, 2015 09:46

Aleman wrote:I do use an acid strength checker . . . Unfortunately it doesn't do CRS

But then neither do I :D

If it's the one I think it is then the strength is given as normality for each acid as well as molarity. The molarity of AMS/CRS cannot be calculated as it is a mix of mono and di protic acids. Its normality will, however, be the same as any of the other acids. So you could read the value of hydrochloric acid and use that as the value for AMS/CRS. AMS/CRS should have a value of 3.66 normal.

So when the normality is known the correct amount of acid can be used.

volume of AMS/CRS to use is …….

(mg/l reduction in calcium carbonate x 0.02 x volume in litres) / normality of acid
wallybrew
Brewer

Postby mabrungard » Mon Jun 22, 2015 03:11

AltonAnt wrote:What version of BruNWater are you using?
I have the one but last recent paid for version which requires you to input the acid strength for all acids.

The strength settings in Bru'n Water are ignored when you select CRS as the acid. There are pop-up dialog boxes that mention this in the program.

CRS has a proprietary strength and I didn't want to fool with that.

mabrungard
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 05:59

Ive always found that AMS/CRS works well for us and have not thought about changing the method we use

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer