Mash PH

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Mash PH

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 14:02

Hi,
I should be grateful for some advice on my water profile, and especially in reducing my Mash PH. I usually have a start water PH of 7.2 (average), and what I am finding is even when using Brun Water and adding normal adjustment of: Gypsum, Epsom salt and Calcium chloride to try and have a predicted PH target of say 5.4, I often find that my actual PH is 5.6 to 5.7. I do use a PH Meter to test my PH.

I also carry out an alkalinity test using a Salifest kit before each brew and my total alkalinity as CaCO3, mg/L averages out at 11. This is always only one point (up or down on the brew day). This is backed up with a full Water report from Wallybrew, which indicated my total alkalinity as CaCO3, mg/L 11.

Though, I appreciate that a Mash PH of 5.7 is still within acceptable parameter, but what I am finding is my pre-boil SG is lower than predicted and missing my targets.

The one thing that I have not tried is to add any acid additions, and therefore would you recommend that I use an acid addition, and if so which type of acid type of acid such as: CRS, Phosphoric, Hydrochloric etc?

Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Re: Mash PH

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 16:25

I know very little about the subject but I'm trying to learn at the momebt. Was your mash sample at room temp or actual temp? I believe this makes a difference...
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 17:05

Yes, I did take a reading at room temperature, and like you I am trying to learn with the aim of being able to find a way of adjusting things as and when needed? Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:22

Crs is the standard go to acid and is easy to use other methods include acid malt and lactic acid liquid . All will do the job and easily lower the mash to 5.3/5.4 without there being a taste issue .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
pittsy
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:41

CRS is very useful as is lactic acid. CRS is good because it's a known %. Lactic can be different and not always accurately labelled I have found.

I made a super simple water calculator if anyone is interested. It's basic but it's a step in the right direction..

http://185.116.213.24/~demotester/brewing/crs/
NickW
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:42

Thanks. Is it best to add CRS or other acid to HLT or direct in the Mash Tun?
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:45

Into the HLT
NickW
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:46

Brilliant, Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 20:25

With a pre treatment alkalinity of 11, you will not need to add acid at all, it's a read herring so ignore it

I'm going to assume you are talking about a pale grist with little coloured or crystal malts (or low colour ones). In this case, and with a liquor that basically contains nothing at all (From your indicated alkalinity reading, calcium is extremely likely to be low), I would suggest ignoring any suggestions from Brun'Water, aim for around 125-150mg/l addition of calcium, and for a pale ale a sulphate to chloride ratio of around 2:1 in the mash liquor. This will give you a pH of around 5.4 to 5.5 in a pale malt grist.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 21:09

Thanks, Aleman. Yes I generally brew pale ales, and my Calcium is reported to be 13.6
Kloorob
Brewer