LOADS of CRS - hope its tasty?

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

LOADS of CRS - hope its tasty?

Postby Pigswill » Tue Jul 26, 2016 14:09

Hi all,

My water is pants.... I do drink it, but only because I've lived in the area most of my life and I'm used to it. It's it's not uncommon for people coming to the area to get a dicky tummy for a few days while getting used to it. I sometimes brew with it, I sometimes use Tesco Ashbeck water, but the results have been fairly average.

I've run my water through a calculator and it says I need 54.5ml of CRS..... which seems like a lot! Am I doing this right?

My water report says (taking the mean values, not the max)

Calcium Ca - 118.44
Magnesium Mg - 4.03
Sodium Na - 20.97
Sulphate So4 - 38.26
Chloride Cl - 36.12
Carbonate Co3 - Not stated but I do have a value of 310mg/l CuCo3

I've based calcs on 35l as I do a full volume mash and targeting a pale ale (although any improvement would be nice) and I tend to add a whole Campden tablet as my water smells a lot of chlorine. (the report gives a value of 'residual disinfectant - total' of 0.53).

I've also had a go on the Greg Hughes residual alkalinity nomograph, but I was almost off the scale.

Any assistance appreciated, thanks.
Pigswill
Brewer

Re: LOADS of CRS - hope its tasty?

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 26, 2016 15:27

I get a lower level for alkalinity based on the other amounts you posted, and hence a lesser amount of CRS necessary.
Whatever the alkalinity is you would be wise to purchase a Salifert (KH) kit to measure it before and after treatment with CRS. Reducing alkalinity to the right amount will make a vast difference to the finished beer, whtever you think of your water.
Good luck.
Eric
Brewer

Postby Pigswill » Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:05

Thanks, how much less? - which calculator are you using?

I've been using the one on the (ahem) 'other' forum... http://www.the homebrew forum.co.uk/water.php

I cant help but think that using this much CRS can only be detrimental to taste, but I'm reluctant to down a glass of CRS to see what it tastes like. :drink: :sick:
Pigswill
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 07:14

The one on Jim's beer kit is better. Don't use the water companies report for alkalinity as it's not accurate. As mentioned already a salifert alkalinity testing kit is needed as the alkalinity changes alot

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 27, 2016 17:35

Pigswill wrote:Thanks, how much less? - which calculator are you using?

I've been using the one on the (ahem) 'other' forum... http://www.the%20homebrew%20forum.co.uk/water.php

I cant help but think that using this much CRS can only be detrimental to taste, but I'm reluctant to down a glass of CRS to see what it tastes like. :drink: :sick:

Alkalinity came to about 265mg/l as CaCO3 by using the quantities you listed and making a balanced profile. I don't use any software, there are some out there that stop you using the most valuable resource you have, your tapwater.

CRS is a mix of sulphuric and hydrochloric acids. It is added at a level that results in it all being converted to sulphates and chlorides, leaving the water alkaline at the level that creates best conditions for the mash.

No acid remains in water like yours when properly treated with CRS. It is however possible to over acidify mash liquor to get an acceptable pH if that liquor has very little or no calcium present, something that's unlikely with the water you describe.
Eric
Brewer