Porter water profile. Terry Foster.

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Re: Porter water profile. Terry Foster.

Postby PeeBee » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40

mabrungard wrote:If it says harshness, I apologize. That is not the correct term. The combination of high chloride and high sulfate results in 'minerally'. ...

In my version (3.4) it does say "The ideal range is 10 to 100 ppm, but the upper limit should be reduced in water with high sulfate concentration to avoid harshness." (Water Knowledge section).

Could chloride content change to orange instead of red if it oversteps the mark? Perhaps changing to red if it seriously oversteps the mark? Might save you from some of the negative comments and shouldn't terrify us beginners to water treatment quite so much. Why beginners at using something quite as advanced and convoluted as Bru'n Water is another matter - but, too late, it's already out there.

Thanks.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby mabrungard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 14:32

PeeBee wrote:Could chloride content change to orange instead of red if it oversteps the mark? Perhaps changing to red if it seriously oversteps the mark?

Well, that's a fair enough recommendation. That can be done.

By the way, why are you using ver. 3.4? Version 4.2 is the latest and it was sent to all supporters quite a while ago. I'm assuming you use Gmail and their interface never let's you know that they put all mail with an attachment in the spam folder. You'll need to send me a message if you're a supporter and haven't received ver 4.2.

mabrungard
Brewer

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 12, 2018 16:32

mabrungard wrote:
PeeBee wrote:Could chloride content change to orange instead of red if it oversteps the mark? Perhaps changing to red if it seriously oversteps the mark?

Well, that's a fair enough recommendation. That can be done.

Doesn't that still stifle initiative and advancement into styles beyond ice cold hopped super fizz?
Eric
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Mon Feb 12, 2018 19:25

mabrungard wrote:... By the way, why are you using ver. 3.4? Version 4.2 is the latest and it was sent to all supporters quite a while ago. I'm assuming you use Gmail and their interface never let's you know that they put all mail with an attachment in the spam folder. You'll need to send me a message if you're a supporter and haven't received ver 4.2.

Sorry. I'd pulled up a recipe using the old version (because that was the old way of saving recipes). I have 4.2 just not in the habit of saving stuff properly yet. Thanks.

(EDIT: And the "Water Knowledge" section does say "... with high sulfate concentration to avoid harshness and minerally flavor.").
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby Rhys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18

Anyone know where in th spreadsheet the version no. is located?
Rhys
Brewer

Postby mabrungard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 14:37

The version number for Bru'n Water is near the bottom of each sheet.

Eric, it doesn't appear that you are familiar with American beer or brewers, excepting the mega brewer's swill. I can assure you that American craft beer doesn't have the character that you attribute.

mabrungard
Brewer

Postby Rhys » Tue Feb 13, 2018 16:24

Thanks I can only see the 2013 copyright notice and the red text re. prompt tips. Must be because I'm opening in Libre office rather than Excel
Rhys
Brewer

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 13, 2018 16:58

mabrungard wrote:
Eric, it doesn't appear that you are familiar with American beer or brewers, excepting the mega brewer's swill. I can assure you that American craft beer doesn't have the character that you attribute.

No, I'm not familiar with them except for pictures of cloudy crap claimed to being revolutionary in their fields. However I do note their almost universal rejection of local water supplies including many requiring simple treatment to be suitable for, or the exact profile used by the commercial brewer of, the British style they wish to replicate, due to some abject fear of its mineral content. Why?

A basic 4 function calculator, mathematics taught at primary school and a basic understanding of a limited amount of chemistry is all that is essential for brewing. A quick TDS reading tells me what is in my water from analyses in the past. A few key presses gives the amount of acid required and the style determines the type used. A few more strokes tells me the amounts of mineral additions to make and off we go to make a beer of my choice. But If I was a novice choosing your programme, not a single style could be made without one or many warning suggesting to the novice the need to buy or manufacture RO water and spend a longer time adjusting that to make a beer that will likely only clear after many weeks rather than hours or days. Why?

Is there not something in common here or are you advising me and all those who have drank my beers, and there are many, they are not up to standard?
Eric
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Tue Feb 13, 2018 21:10

mabrungard wrote:Eric, it doesn't appear that you are familiar with American beer or brewers, excepting the mega brewer's swill. I can assure you that American craft beer doesn't have the character that you attribute.

The American craft beers I have tried all seem to be one mass of hops and little else.
Eric wrote:
Is there not something in common here or are you advising me and all those who have drank my beers, and there are many, they are not up to standard?

I have been privileged to sample Eric's beers and they are as good as it gets and certainly true to style.
Dennis King

Postby FUBAR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 22:05

Dennis King wrote:
mabrungard wrote:Eric, it doesn't appear that you are familiar with American beer or brewers, excepting the mega brewer's swill. I can assure you that American craft beer doesn't have the character that you attribute.

The American craft beers I have tried all seem to be one mass of hops and little else.
Eric wrote:

I have been privileged to sample Eric's beers and they are as good as it gets and certainly true to style.

I am another who has tasted and can also verify that Eric brews superb English beers .

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me- Winston Churchill.
FUBAR
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51

You lot don't half give Martin a hard time. But he keeps showing up. I'm sure there is some historic reasons for the friction, and perhaps Martin is a bit of a masochist?

Anyway, Bru'n Water is just a tool. I don't know of a better one. Perhaps the old way of just adding a teaspoon full of gypsum is what I should be doing?
PeeBee
Brewer

Previous