'Food grade' hydrochloric acid - that isn't

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

'Food grade' hydrochloric acid - that isn't

Postby Kev888 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 16:20

I posted this elsewhere too but just by way of a heads up:

I recently bought some "food grade" hydrochloric acid from 'solvent-shop' on ebay, intending it for water-treatment. When it arrived there was nothing at all on the container that indicated it was food grade so I asked them about this; apparently they consider it suitable for use around food (like cleaning food-making machinery) but tell me it is 'not' suitable for ingestion.

In fact they seemed unaware there even are any grades of hydrochloric acid that could be used in food itself. So my understanding of 'food grade' hydrochloric and theirs is clearly not the same, and it seems unlikely that this product complies with E507 or any other food-additive level of specification. How bad it actually is if ingested I've no idea, but thought it worth a mention. Mine looks set for patio-cleaning duties.
Kev888
Brewer

Re: 'Food grade' hydrochloric acid - that isn't

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Jul 26, 2017 17:20

Great post, hope nobody is poisoned by it.
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby mabrungard » Mon Sep 18, 2017 02:48

Indeed, there are many grades of acids and reagents. Acids are particularly susceptible to adulteration since they can easily dissolve metals. Food-grade chemicals and additives have testing and a chain of custody that assures that they don't have hazardous constituents in them. While I don't really recommend using anything other than food-grade materials, laboratory reagent grade chemicals are certified to NOT have appreciable amounts of any foreign matter in them and that could be construed to suggest that they would qualify as a food-grade material.

mabrungard
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 14:36

I see they are still advertising it as 'food grade' even after some enlightenment. As they tell me it is not suitable for ingestion, I struggle to see this continued use of the term as safe or even completely truthful.

Thankfully, there is a supplier of genuine food grade hydrochloric to E507: APC pure - e.g. 3x1L bottles for £13. Delivery is extra and costly at over eight quid, but then unlike some other unmentionables they don't sneak it through an innocent delivery service hidden in plain packaging..

Sulphuric is harder to find, so yes I went with a high/lab grade for that (again from APC pure in my case). The quantities I would want to use per litre of liquor are tiny, so a product of that high purity will fall well within any ingestion thresholds in practice. Though retailers aren't allowed to sell the concentrated sulphuric to the general public here, so it was relatively dilute.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer