Lactobacillus Plantarum

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Lactobacillus Plantarum

Postby rlemkin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 21:14

Just a quick post to let people know I've found a good and cheap source of Lactobacillus in tablet form. I've seen quite a few US users of the FB group 'Milk The Funk' talk about using probiotic pills as a yeast source for sour and funk beers, so I'm quite pleased to find some in the UK!

2-4 tablets are enough to sour a 20L brew (source: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Alterna ... ia_Sources) which is far less than the cost of a WL vial and less risky than a kettle/mash sour. Th

I got them here: http://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_ ... n_capsules - bear in mind that the price fluctuates. It was £5.49 for 30 tablets last week, but £9.99 now.

Looking forward to brewing my first Berliner Weisse :thumb:. Will mash and boil before pitching the tablets and US-04 24-48 hours later. Should be able to turn it around in a similar time to a regular brew.
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Lactobacillus Plantarum

Postby Strongarm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 14:05

Other option I know people use is biokult.

Can get in boots and amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B004SGO ... ref=plSrch

Meant to have an appley sourness, but can't confirm as I've been super slack in my brewing recently. May know next week if I pull my finger out.

I intend to sour in the kettle using them, once I've pulled the bag. Probably with a quick Boil and cool to 40 ish then inoculate with the pills and leave 24 hours with the temp (my kettle is a buffalo ) around the 3-4 mark.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer

Postby Buster » Sat Feb 06, 2016 14:34

rlemkin wrote:Just a quick post to let people know I've found a good and cheap source of Lactobacillus in tablet form. I've seen quite a few US users of the FB group 'Milk The Funk' talk about using probiotic pills as a yeast source for sour and funk beers, so I'm quite pleased to find some in the UK!

2-4 tablets are enough to sour a 20L brew (source: http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Alterna ... ia_Sources) which is far less than the cost of a WL vial and less risky than a kettle/mash sour. Th

I got them here: http://www.healthmonthly.co.uk/swanson_ ... n_capsules - bear in mind that the price fluctuates. It was £5.49 for 30 tablets last week, but £9.99 now.

Looking forward to brewing my first Berliner Weisse :thumb:. Will mash and boil before pitching the tablets and US-04 24-48 hours later. Should be able to turn it around in a similar time to a regular brew.

Is this not the same Lactobacillus thats found in Old Rosie Cider, if so, could it not also be used to mellow cider ??

"Where are you from" asked the man....."Swindon" I replied......"What part" he said...."Well, all of me" I replied.
Buster
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 14:36

i would use us05 its a cleaner yeast and doesnt really flavour the beer

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Strongarm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 22:49

Is us-05 ok at low ph? I read that sacch can struggle in the mid to low 3s, so a lot of folk use Brett in Their sour beers as more tolerant of low ph.

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer

Postby Strongarm » Sat Feb 06, 2016 22:50

Same would apply to us-04. I used a saison yeast as thought it's wine yeast origins might be happier.

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Sat Feb 06, 2016 23:05

Kolsch yeast is supposed to be particulary good in acidic environments. I've pitched an awful lot of US-05 into my wort. 'Milk the Funk' on Facebook really is a great resource for all this.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:43

i used us05 with no problems kolsch yeast is ideal though too

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Strongarm » Thu Jul 28, 2016 15:27

Finally got around to doing my first kettle sour this week using the Bio Kult I mentioned above. I massed as usual then Boiled quickly and chilled to 35 before inoculation with the Bio Kult. 36 hours later there was a lovely apple sourness so I Boiled again to kill off the lacto, added a load of flameout wai iti, chilled and pitched a saison yeast. It's currently fermenting away and smelling lovely.

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer