Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager - advice

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager - advice

Postby Monte Cristo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28

Morning Chaps,

I'm looking to do a Boston lager and to ferment it, i've bought the Wyeast 2206, planning on fermenting at about 9-10ºc in the brew fridge.

I have only one smack pack which I'm going to put in a starter - My plan is to put 1.5l of wort in each of my erlenmeyer flasks then split the pack equally between them - Will this work or be enough?

Mrmalty reckons just over 3l for 20l lager

Not done many lagers so looking for some advice.

Cheers Chaps :hat:

Next Brew AG. 62
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Re: Wyeast 2206 Bavarian lager - advice

Postby Saccharomyces » Fri Mar 02, 2018 15:01

Wyeast publish their own pitching rates, I would assume about 130 billion cells per litre of starter, look up the correct pitching rate and work back from there.

https://wyeastlab.com/pitch-rates

Those starters should produce around 350-400 billion cells. If the lager yeast are more than four weeks old, I’d usually just add ‘some’ of a packet to a 500 ml starter and split it as you described, the reason being I want as many of those 350 billion cells to be fresh and vital as possible. By four weeks, a good percentage of the cells will be dead or dying.

I disagree with some of the advice on Mr Malty’s Calculator, and it appears so does Jamil if you read his yeast book carefully.
Saccharomyces
Brewer