Starter from dried yeast?

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Starter from dried yeast?

Postby Rolfster » Mon Dec 05, 2016 20:17

Can you grow up a packet of dried yeast to ferment out a couple of 22 liter batches?

If so how?

I brew infrequently but get am getting about 75 liters at a time when I do brew.

If I brewed more frequently I would top crop and save it, but I don't fancy saving a top crop for 3 months.
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Starter from dried yeast?

Postby Kev888 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 22:19

Yes, you can - in the same way as a liquid starter. Though dried yeast remain viable for a long time and using a whole sachet in the starter may be excessive. So think about pitching rates, and also how well you could store an open packet without increased risk of infection.

However, dried yeast are quite impressive things, being expertly prepared and packaged to go for it even without much oxygen in the wort. You lose that by moving on a generation, so good pitching rates and decent aeration are then needed. If you need to use malt extract (rather than using saved wort from brew-day) the cost of that can also mean only small savings over the (considerably more convenient) method of just using an extra yeast sachet.

So whilst dry-yeast can be grown up in starters, not many people feel it is worth doing. The choice is of course yours, though. It can save a little money but needs much more time and care.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby rats_eyes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 22:47

Here's a link you might find interesting. The site is full of good stuff, we'll worth a read... http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/05/yeast- ... t-results/
rats_eyes
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Wed Dec 07, 2016 09:15

If you are OK with top cropping I would do this and use it for a starter when you are ready.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:32

rats_eyes wrote:Here's a link you might find interesting. The site is full of good stuff, we'll worth a read... http://brulosophy.com/2016/12/05/yeast- ... t-results/

Thank you for the link.
An interesting read.
Rolfster
Brewer