Yeast brain storming

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Yeast brain storming

Postby beer buddah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 16:27

I had a sample of ale yeast I removed from fast fermenter checked for cell count after secondary.It was in my fridge 3 weeks @4C. It had 30% dead cells. So I reckon I loose 10% a week.

So I couldn't pitch this as I need 80%+ live cells. If I build a yeast starter will the 30% dead cells cause me issues or as I'm led to believe old yeast can be a nutrient or is this only true if the yeast has been boiled first.

Hope I'm not too confusing in my taught process.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
beer buddah
Brewer

Re: Yeast brain storming

Postby john luc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 16:38

As the song say's,don't worry. The dead cells are food for the live cells, Inactivated yeasts serve as a yeast nutrient in that they can be a source of vitamins and minerals.
john luc
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 16:50

That's what I was thinking. So I need to use it as is first 2 weeks and starter required there after.

beer buddah
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Nov 28, 2016 09:32

beer buddah wrote:That's what I was thinking. So I need to use it as is first 2 weeks and starter required there after.

Next time remove a sample of wort from below the krausen 36 hours into the ferment put it in a sanitised 500ml fizzy water bottle. Leave the cap loosely fitted and allow it to ferment out. When fermentation is over tighten the cap and leave it to condition at 20 degrees you will know when it's carbonated because you will no longer be able to compress the bottle. Then store it in a fridge. There will be a good deposit of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. It will remain viable for at least two years and probably much longer. When you want to use the yeast pour 80 percent of the beer into a glass and drink it. If it tastes good then the yeast is good also.
Shake the bottle and add it to your starter.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby john luc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 13:21

Would you do that with a Lager as well
john luc
Brewer

Postby john luc » Mon Nov 28, 2016 13:25

As for yeast as nutrient I have A 1 kilo bag of out of date bog standard dry beer yeast that I use as nutrient. When I am boiling the wort I toss in 2 teaspoons and when making shelf stable wort for starters I add some there as well.
john luc
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Nov 28, 2016 13:32

john luc wrote:Would you do that with a Lager as well

Absolutely. Because you are removing fermenting wort which contains yeast in suspension. That will eventually settle on the bottom of the bottle. Give it a try.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby beer buddah » Wed Nov 30, 2016 01:02

Food for taught. I think I'd like to get microscope to help me on my yeast health journey. Might be too indepth but it's only way I can be 100% happy with my process.
beer buddah
Brewer