Funky Town. TYB Mélange, Amalgamation, Beersel and Brussels

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Funky Town. TYB Mélange, Amalgamation, Beersel and Brussels

Postby rlemkin » Sat Aug 27, 2016 00:17

The Malt Miller had a sale so I've got a hoarde of Brett and Bacteria on the way. Looking to see if anyone has used any of these strains or has any ideas.

MÉLANGE - SOUR BLEND

If you dig using a diverse array of unique organisms to create balanced sour beers, this delightful medley of microbes is sure to please!
Mélange is our most varied mix of fermentative organisms, intended for use in the production of sour beers in which a balance of funk and sourness is desired. This blend contains two Saccharomyces cerevisiae isolates, Saccharomyces fermentati, five Brettanomyces isolates, Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus delbreuckii and Pediococcus damnosus.

Beer? Some form of sour monster to be left alone for 6+ months I imagine.

AMALGAMATION - BRETT SUPER BLEND

Amalgamation is the union of our six favorite Brettanomyces isolates from our microbe library. Each isolate produces a unique bouquet of bright and fruity flavors and aromas, and the combination of all of them into one blend results in the coalescence of these unique flavors and aromas into something truly special.
Expect this blend to create a dry beer with a bright and complex fruit-forward flavor and aroma, accompanied by some funk on the palate.

Beer? Easy peasy.. I think. This is going in a Brett IPA.

BRUSSELS BRETTANOMYCES BLEND

This blend combines Brettanomyces strains isolated from a unique lambic produced in the Brussels region of Belgium. All of the isolates in this blend produce a pronounced barnyard funk with mild acidity and very little fruitiness. This blend can be a little slow to start up, but is a great addition to any beer that you want to funk up.

Beer? Secondary for a simple Orval-like funky Belgian pale?

BEERSEL BRETTANOMYCES BLEND

This blend combines Brettanomyces strains isolated from a lambic produced in the Beersel area in the Belgian province of Flemish Brabant. All of the strains in this blend provide a balanced profile of fruitiness and funkiness. This blend tends to be a quick starter and forms a nice pellicle. The resulting beer is balanced with a bright and crisp finish.

Beer? Quick sour and add in secondary?
rlemkin
Brewer

Re: Funky Town. TYB Mélange, Amalgamation, Beersel and Bruss

Postby duncans » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:55

Sounds fantastic. Just had a look but the amalgamation is sold out and I already have too much yeast in the fridge.
duncans
Brewer

Postby rats_eyes » Sat Aug 27, 2016 22:37

Brett as primary yeast in a hoppy pale works really well, i think you're on track there
rats_eyes
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 16:18

Melange is going into a simple Pale/Wheat/Flaked Wheat wort today. Aiming to build it up via a low-ish og quick turnaround sour (2-3 months). Looking to produce quite a wort with relatively simple sugars to reach FG quickly before bottling in a couple of months where it will then develop. Pretty much the opposite of what you'd do for a good lambic!
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Sep 06, 2016 22:45

The Mélange is going wild. Dont think I've ever seen a more active fermentation. Expecting limited funk from this, a wild primary isn't necessarily what you want to see. Doing some research and it has Saccharomyces fermentati in the blend, which turns out is a sherry yeast. *slurp*
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:58

I bought a Lucky Dip of 5 liquid yeasts for £10 from BrewUK and here's what I got.

2 x Mélange - as above.

WLP700 Flor Sherry Yeast

This yeast develops a film (flor) on the surface of the wine. Creates green almond, granny smith and nougat characteristics found in sherry. Can also be used for Port, Madeira and other sweet styles. For use in secondary fermentation. Slow fermentor.

Quite excited about this one. Potentially going to use this in a very strong barleywine or an old ale

WLP644 Saccharomyces "Bruxellensis" Trois

This strain, used traditionally for wild yeast-like fermentations, produces a slightly tart beer with delicate characteristics of mango and pineapple. Can also be used to produce effervescence when bottle-conditioning.

Very trendy for a while this looks like a great IPA/pale strain.

The Yeast Bay - SAISON/BRETTANOMYCES BLEND

This blend combines one of the Saccharomyces strains from the Saison Blend and two unique Brettanomyces isolates from our yeast library. The Saccharomyces yeast strain is a strong attenuator that produces a delightful ester profile of grapefruit and orange zest and imparts a long, dry and earthy finish to the beer. The Brettanomyces strains are both good attenuators that produce some fruity esters and mild funk, and add a bright character to the beer. The combination of these yeast produces a dry but balanced character with a delightful ester profile and just the right amount of funk.
Approximately 58 billion cells/vial.

Temperature: 70 - 78 ºF
Attenuation: 80%+
Flocculation: Medium-Low

Saison city.
rlemkin
Brewer