Have I ruined my yeast?

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Have I ruined my yeast?

Postby stevelmu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 13:35

Planning a lager for next Tues. Made a starter with wlp800 using 75g/750ml with the aim to step it up to 4L.

The yeast has been sat at room temp for 15hrs, have i murdered it? First lager and totally forgot about lower temps.
stevelmu
Brewer

Re: Have I ruined my yeast?

Postby Mr. Dripping » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:21

No :D
All you are looking for in a starter is to produce a lot of healthy yeast cells to pitch in to your wort.
If you grow your starter at room temperature, allow the yeast to floc and then decant the spent wort you will be fine.
Mr. Dripping
Brewer

Postby stevelmu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 14:26

Phew. When I decant and add to my 4L should I put it in my brew fridge at a lower temp?
stevelmu
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Thu Apr 28, 2016 15:27

No, again just keep it at room temperature. . . admittedly I wouldn't pitch all four litres, just let it settle decant and pitch the slurry.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby stevelmu » Thu Apr 28, 2016 15:46

Cheers, I had no intention of pitching all 4L, I have time to chill, settle and decant. Thanks all.
stevelmu
Brewer