Mj UK dark ale yeast.

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Mj UK dark ale yeast.

Postby Rolfster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 14:04

Hi all. I used this http://mangrovejacks.com/products/uk-dark-ale-yeast
to make some beer.
I mashed at 68degrees (maybe a tad higher) for 90 minutes. And then boiled it hard for 7 minutes.
Here is the brew day thread viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9976.

It's been on the fv for while now (2 weeks I think). And is currently at 1.020. I gave it a stir and turned up the heat a week ago.
What so you think? Is it ready for bottling? I have time to bottle on Thursday but not again for a while after!
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Mj UK dark ale yeast.

Postby robwalker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 17:33

Notorious early stopper. It's finished - if you want it drier pitch a hardy fermenter like Nottingham to get the last 10 points fermented, if not go for it.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Tue Apr 05, 2016 23:30

Cheers Rob. I've thought about pitching something else, but thought it would lose the character of the beer! The other half was fermented with notty so I will be able to compare the difference!
I'm going to bottle on Thursday then.
O the joy of bottling 80ish bottles in one go!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:22

Most of the esters develop in the first 24-48 hours and will remain in the beer even if you use a finishing yeast so your options are open! I would consider using one of its too sweet or if you're unhappy with the lower abv.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 08:13

So I tried one of these yesterday.
I was lucky to get any in the glass! It's not finished fermenting! I kinda knew I should have left it longer before bottling but wanted it to be ready for my dad coming to visit. He is gluten free and I've added clarity ferm to this one.
It's currently in the beer fridge set on as cold as it will go. I'm going to open them all and then reseal them, then put them back in the cupboard to carbonate up again....then repeat!
Rolfster
Brewer