Splitting and using Wyeast.

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Splitting and using Wyeast.

Postby iwoo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 09:43

I am making 40 Lt batches of stout and beer. I want to change from dry to wet yeast.
I have read the article on splitting Wyeast 125ml packs into 15ml test tubes. By Wolfy on JBK and it Seems doable.

Question is how to step up from 12ml 7.5 billion cell size. I am thinking 12ml to 100 ml then 1 litre then 2lts

Looking for advice on stir plate. Diy or buy?

Also will the above approach work for steps? What is your experience and timings, temperatures etc

Thanks Ian

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
iwoo
Brewer

Re: Splitting and using Wyeast.

Postby vacant » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:33

Unless you're going to spend money on a microscope etc, you're working with huge uncertainty - 7.5 billion in 12ml? Viability could be zero!

But having said that, why not sling a tiny amount in 300ml and pitch that (or 500ml for your 40 ltr batches). I do step up slants from my yeast bank - 10ml, 100ml, 1 ltr but I also chuck the dregs from 2 bottle of Proper Job in 1 ltr.

My current brew got delayed so the Proper Job starter was in the fridge for a week and pitched straight into the wort and still "took off like a rocket"*. I'd suggest experimenting with getting a healthy 2 ltr starter, store it in the fridge when it's healthy.

Stir plates - maybe try a demi john before worrying about stir plates. My stir plate is a computer fan with four screws each side as a stand and flask support, driven by an old phone charger, with a flat magnet from a hard disk drive (not even glued on). I use a £4 controller to govern the speed.

* standard description for PJ starters

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby Cheebs » Wed Apr 11, 2018 16:47

Vacant, thanks very much for that shaken not stirred link, very interesting stuff that puts a stir plate back on the back burner for a while. I received my first coal off liquid year the other day so timing is perfect. I tried to harvest from a 5l mini keg of jaipur yesterday I should have used a bigger jar but I think I got it mostly right.
Cheebs
Brewer

Postby iwoo » Thu Apr 12, 2018 13:46

Thank you for the information on the sns thread. That one should be a sticky. I will give it a try. Have you any information on stepping up split yeast starters or slopes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
iwoo
Brewer